☂ ᏖᏂᏋ ᎴᏗᎩ ᏖᏂᏗᏖ ᏇᏗᏕᏁ'Ꮦ ☂

NIGHTMARES I TRIED TO REMEMBER

"Thank you, Allison."

It was 1968, and hundreds of soldiers camped out in the night jungle in the Shau Valley, Vietnam. Many of them were sleeping. Trying to gain strength for their next battle. Suddenly, Klaus appeared out of nowhere with a briefcase in his hands. "Damn it!" He yelled. He heard helicopters flying left and right outside the large tent.

A man laying in one of the beds awoke from his slumber. He was shirtless. His muscles were toned, and he had dog tags around his neck. His eyes squinted as there were lanterns all over the place. Klaus stared at him in awe. Where was he, and who was this beautiful man? A bomb then smashed into the ground. Klaus covered his ears, while the rest of the men shot up and started putting their gear on. "Incoming!" A man yelled.

"Go, time ladies! Charlie's on the wire!" Another man yelled. Klaus looked at them confused. What the hell was happening?

"Move it! All right, go! Come on!"

A siren wailed loudly, even though it came from a distance.

"You got mud in your ears, boy? Get dressed!" A man with a uniform, and a gear pack of his shoulders ordered at Klaus. Not knowing that the man wasn't exactly military.

"No, I'm-- I'm not--" Klaus stuttered.

"War's not gonna wait for you to get pretty! Katz, get this man operational. And get him a pair of pants! Let's go!" Someone handed Klaus some dusty green pants. "Do you think I have time to waste? Get him a gun! Don't look at me, get those pants on!"

Klaus was then settled in military gear. A helmet over his head, and a large rifle in his hand. Every soldier was put on a bus at dawn. Heavily tired, as the sound of a bomb explosion had woke them up. Klaus sat alone. Until the same guy he saw the first night approached him. "You just get in the country?"

"Oh, uh... Yeah." He answered shyly. He'd met many people before. Always so empty of shyness. Why was he feeling the exact opposite now?

They both chuckled. "Yeah, shit's crazy. I know."

"Yeah!"

"You'll adjust. I'm Dave." He put his hand out.

He took Dave's hand. "Klaus."

Dave moved his foot over, making it touch Klaus's.

At that battle, many had died. But many also survived. So they got back to main city of Vietnam to celebrate. Remembering to keep their fellow soldiers' memory alive. They celebrated at Saigon Tan Son Nhat Airport.