Side Story: White Waves

Month 4 Day 15

"Ya know where my happiness comes from? Just...Casting a line out and catching fish. Sometimes I don't catch any. And that's sad. But it's okay, I'll only go hungry for a day after all. People can't be happy with just...Being. Anymore. They always want to be something more like 'I gotta be the greatest this and that' and 'I gotta prove myself!'. So...Righteous. Blinding to a point. I never understood it. And...That's alright. I'm just a simple fisherman, so I suppose I just don't have a knack for all of that silliness. Got no reason to. I'm perfectly content with just...Staying here. Wake up early. Set my bait. Get the fish. Sell 'em. Keep a few for myself and...repeat. You'd think I'd be bored but no, I don't think I can ever get tired of this. For some it's hard to sit still but I find it uh...Relaxing ya know? Just you and the sun and the wind, waiting for the fish to catch what you put out. People say I'm simple, but I'm happy. Not many people can claim that, so I'll take what I can get."

Month 4 Day 18

"Some adventurers came down to the pier today. I live in a little shack on the coast of Blenth, and I walk to the docks with some of the other regular fishermen. They are all fairly older than me, but like having the young blood around to spice things up for them. Besides, they taught me everything I know. But...Adventurers. Never got those guys. A group of 'em came down to the docks and tried their hand at fishing. They were at it for about an hour and they wanted to quit! Impatient to say the least, but with their stomachs growling like that, it was only natural. I ended up walking over and tried to help 'em out, but they didn't want any. So I left them, and soon after they walked away scornfully. I wonder if they ever did end up getting some food. Hope they did. They seemed like a nice little group. It was just their stomachs talking, so the other's around the area thought they were quite rude. I don't mind though. I went to sell my catches later that day, and then back home. Would I ever...Adventure? Probably not. Grand tales and danger aren't exactly my thing. I like hearing about them stories though! But no no...I'm not that type of guy."

Month 4 Day 29

"Rainy days are always a bit scary. Just for me, personally. The older guys don't think so, but...I suppose I'm a bit cowardly. I still go out to the piers to fish with them anyway though, and they cackle about how much I shiver from the freezing rain. They'd been through it many more times than I have after all. At least soon the rain'll get warmer, but it was all sorts of cold today. Barely caught any fish too. Didn't make much money sellin', but at least I had food to eat today. When I'm at home huddled by the fireplace, I can't help but think about those guys out there at sea. Ya know some of 'em never make it back to land? I like the dry soil beneath me, so boats have never really been my thing. Only been out to sea a few times, but boy is it nerve wracking! The men tell me to gather my courage and face my fears by going in head first but ah...Easier said than done! They make it seem so simple. But then again, I am a simple guy, so maybe they are right."

Month 5 Day 1

"It rained a bit longer than I'd like, but there was a rainbow peeking through the clouds after the whole thing. Ya know, it's the little things like that I look forward to? The rain may be a bit depressing up here but...It's all okay because I know I'll see that pretty rainbow after it's all done and over with. Sorta makes me look forward to the rain sometimes. The other guys don't really seem to get me when I tell 'em that but that's fine. They sorta flatter me when they tell me I got a poetic mind ya know? They're just teasin' of course but it makes me feel good so...I don't mind. Their laughs are uh...Hearty. And comforting. Strained from smoking but, I don't think the docks would be the same without 'em. I wonder if they'd miss a youngin' like me if I suddenly just...Left. They can be a little cruel, so maybe, but nah...No use thinkin' bout it too hard."