Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter Twenty-Six

Hermione POV

The next days dragged on and Hermione felt like she hardly got any sleep. Between watching over Ron, keeping up with her studies, trying to talk Harry down from following Malfoy, and listening to Ginny's relationship problems, she thought she was going to snap in half. When she wrote to George expressing her frustrations, he sent a Daydream Charm which she was shocked was able to sneak in through the Hogwarts mail.

Ron's first day out of the Hospital Wing, he joined them at Breakfast. Hermione looked at the boys and informed them of what they've missed which was just that Ginny and Dean had gotten into a fight the night before.

"What about?" Harry asked trying to look merely curious but Hermione knew that he was hoping that they would end things between the two of him so he could make a move.

"Dean was laughing at McLaggen hitting that Bludger at you. They seemed to work it out thought and they're still together." She added the last part for her friends benefit and noticed that Ron was oblivious by the comment.

Harry seemed to sink a little on the bench in frustration. She mouthed a word of sorry to him before returning to her breakfast. Lavender Brown stormed the table and began to yell at Ron for not informing her that he was being discharged today. The two others took this as their cue to get up and leave with Ron shooting them looks of annoyance.

"Hermione, you know I hate to ask but... could you help me with some homework while I'm at Dumbledore's?" Harry looked genuinely pained to ask for assistance from his friend.

She sighed. "I'll do your Herbology essay but don't let Ron copy it. He has to do the work himself. The difference between you and him is he's busy snogging his girlfriend and you're on a secret task. Completely different."

"You're the best, Hermione!" Harry yelled before giving her a quick hug and darting up to Dumbledore's office.

She rolled her eyes and set out to begin her work and now Harry's essay. She also made a note to keep her eye out for Horcruxes in the library but was too intimidated to ask the librarian for help in case it was too dark of magic that they didn't even entrust it within the walls of the library.

Sadly, she didn't find anything, and returned to the common room when the library had closed. Lavender was snogging Ron in front of the fireplace, so Hermione joined Ginny in a corner. Her friend looked like she was crying again since her bright blue eyes were rimmed with a pinkish red. "Dean?"

Ginny nodded her head. "I just don't understand why he feels the need to pick fights all the time. Thankfully, the twins sent me a Sleeping Draught so I think I'm going to take that tonight, so I get a good night's sleep. They also slipped me some candy." She looked at Hermione with a raised eyebrow. "Thank you."

"What are you thanking me for?" Hermione asked but flushing from trying to cover her tracks.

"I'm not mad. I know you talk to George. Obviously, you do. It's nice to be cared for. I just don't like admitting I'm weak." She admitted while sinking onto the small table and placing her forehead against the dark wood. "Why can't I stop fighting?"

Hermione gently rubbed her head before Ginny decided it was time to turn in for the night. She froze before going to the girl's dorm. "I'm going to end things with him tomorrow. I don't think any of my friends or family like seeing me hurt. I need to see that I'm worth more than fighting."