Someone knocked on the door again and I rushed to answer it. My apartment was buzzing with people, I couldn't even hear the music that Jackie picked anymore. I was feeling a little overwhelmed, but I was managing. Jackie was in the kitchen talking to Judy about the blender, and everyone was helping themselves to the food that we laid out. I felt like I had a script in my head from how many times I said where and what the food was, and to meet Jackie in the kitchen for margaritas. I felt like it was a good chance to let my friends and coworkers meet her without it being too awkward. This system was working out well.

I opened the door with one hand and had a beer in the other. I felt my cheeks lift when I saw Mickey standing there, and I opened the door wider to welcome her in. All the stress had melted away in an instant.

"Sorry I'm a little late," she said as she walked in. As if on instinct, I gave her a friendly greeting of a kiss on her flushed cheek. I noticed that she was turning heads as she walked through the door, and I closed it behind her.

"You're totally fine," I reassured. She was probably the last to arrive, but it wasn't a big deal. I was just glad that she showed up. I had been looking forward to see her all night. Every time that she is near me, all my cares seem to disappear.

"Wow, it's packed in here. I don't think I've ever seen so many people in this room," she said as she took off her black leather jacket and draped it over her arm.

"I don't think so either," I chuckled. I cleared my throat and gave my speech, "tonight is Taco Tuesday, so we have build-your-own tacos in the kitchen and some sides on the coffee table. We've got drinks in the cooler, I made sure to get Cokes for you, and... uh... I think that's it." I used big gestures toward the kitchen, and I spoke a little louder than I normally do without realizing it.

"Thanks," she smiled. She glanced over to the kitchen and then she gracefully gestured and asked, "who's that?"

I followed her gaze and saw that she was looking at Jackie, who was pouring a green margarita into a cup for Judy. I figured this was the best time as any to introduce the two of them.

I imagined that the interaction would be good, because I've talked to Jackie about Mickey before. I don't think I've talked about Jackie to Mickey much, but Mickey is pretty good about conversing so I assumed that they would get along together nicely. My girlfriend and my best friend, what could go wrong?

"Come on, I'll introduce you guys," I said. I offered to take her jacket and I walked slowly alongside Mickey because she was still in her walking-cast from breaking her foot earlier in the month. Mickey followed me to the kitchen right when Judy was leaving and Jackie was cleaning off the counter. I set my empty beer bottle on the counter and said loud enough for her to hear, "hey, Jackie, there's someone I'd like you to meet."

Jackie's head snapped in our direction and she dropped what she was doing to come up to us. She looked at Mickey before offering a smile. I said, "Jackie, this is Mickey. Mickey, Jackie."

"Oh, Mickey!" Jackie exclaimed joyfully. I finally let myself take a breath because I was a little nervous about them meeting, but Jackie seemed happy to meet her. "I've heard so much about you. You're nothing like I was expecting."

Mickey's smile dropped slightly. Even I was a little confused by that statement. She asked, "I'm sorry?"

"It's not bad.. it's just... it's so funny, all this time I thought you were a guy," Jackie said followed by a cynical laugh.

I scrunched my eyebrows together and leaned away from Jackie in confusion. I guess I do talk about Mickey a lot, but I've never indicated that she was a guy. Jackie even has acknowledged that Mickey is a girl on multiple occasions. That seemed a little rude, but I figured it was just a miscommunication. I didn't want to accuse her of being rude when she probably didn't mean it.