Race to the Battle

Beginne am Anfang

Firenze led them to the edge of the centaur's realm. He handed them back their wands solemnly.

"The centaur's council meets tonight," he told them. "I will advocate for your cause."

"If the centaurs would come to our aid it would be deeply appreciated," Sev murmured, looking into those ice blue eyes.

"That is the outcome I will champion," Firenze said. "But it all depends upon the stars. I wish you luck in the coming battle."

"Thank you," said Sev. He reached up to take Firenze's hand. The centaur grasped it firmly. "Thank you for all you have done for us."

"The centaur's blessing is upon you," he said, eyes swirling blue and white and grey. "All three of you. May the stars turn in your favor."

And he melted into the dark woods around them.

They picked their way down the steep path. Laura had bound Oakley in a cloth to Remus' chest so he could be carried comfortably. Luckily he was sleeping quietly. He seemed to be soothed by Remus' movements as they made their way through the woods.

They could tell that there was something afoot as soon as they left the centaur's realm. The whole forest seemed edgy. It felt as if it was lying in wait. The wind stirring the new leaves on the trees sounded ominous. They heard the restless movements of animals in the woods though they could not see them. A deer bounded across their path as if it was being pursued, then another, then a third. They heard the baying of dogs or was it wolves? 

As they came to the end of the trail Sev sensed movement ahead of them. He pulled Remus back, behind a large oak tree that hid them from the path.

"Who's there?" came a hoarse voice, sickeningly familiar. Shit. Remus gripped Sev's hand in the dark. He had recognized the voice as well. Sev prayed that Oakley would not cry. It was too late to cast a silencing charm.

"Come out," said the voice. "Do not lurk in the presence of the Dark Lord."

It was Wormtail. Then Sev heard a sound that truly made his blood run cold.

"Perhaps it is an animal," came Voldemort's high, cold voice. "I must go now - go to join my followers. They await me. I do not wish for them to grow impatient."

"I saw something," said Pettigrew. "I did. It went behind that tree."

"Very well, Wormtail," said another familiar voice. It was Bellatrix, her tone harsh and grating.

"Incendio!" she shouted.

The tree they were hiding behind burst into flames. Sev rolled back. He grabbed Remus and Oakley, pulling them away from the fire. Remus' robes caught. For a moment they were distracted, beating out the flames. When Sev looked up from the forest floor he was staring right into Voldemort's fierce red eyes.

"Severus," said Voldemort, his cold voice thick with malice. "What a pleasant surprise." He wore Nagini around his shoulders like a weird imitation of a shawl. The snake raised her head and hissed when she saw Sev, as usual.

Sev scrambled to his feet and stood in front of Remus and Oakley, his wand outstretched.

"How touching," said Voldemort, and Sev could tell that he found the urge to play with his food irresistible. He was going to torture Sev, showing off his cleverness to his minions. That might just give them the chance they needed. "You wish to protect your werewolf boyfriend," said Voldemort. "And his whelp." Sev heard Bellatrix give an evil cackle.

"Hello, Tom," Sev said, as calmly as he could. He clung tightly to his wand, holding it steady. He was silently reciting a spell, the kabbalistic incantation, hoping, praying, that it would work.