01 | Chapter 1

126 T.E.

"Happy birthday, sweetie pie!"

Ellé stirred awake in her thin blankets, cheeks still warm from blurry dreams she couldn't quite remember. She heard a few clinks as her father patted her on the shoulder. Ellé groaned.

Though today was indeed her birthday, Ellé knew that she would still be working in the shop. Despite that, Ellé was still excited for her special day.

Throughout the years, her father had always treated her birthday as the most important day of the year. When she was little, he would take a day off to stay with her. Sometimes she would wake up to ribbons and confetti around the shop, sometimes her father would bake her favorite flower cake, shaped with layers upon layers of rose-pink frosting. Though Ellé enjoyed every piece of confetti and every smear of frosting, her favorite part was always her present. Her father has given her the most unique and thoughtful gifts, sometimes crafted by himself. She remembered the most interesting machines and gadgets he's made: a globe shaped like Earth that changed seasons throughout the year; a beautiful diary from the best shop on Luna; tiny figures of the Earthen and Lunar royalty; even a miniature hot-air balloon, which was restricted on Luna due to the lack of air supply. However, after Ellé's father had gotten a job at the palace, it became forbidden for him to take any day off. Ellé stopped receiving decorations around the house, even a birthday cake had become luxurious.

Despite these restrictions, Ellé's father would still manage to squeeze the best gifts out of nowhere, which left Ellé with yearning every year.

"Sleeping with screws again, I see?" Her father chuckled, swiping her bed and producing a few other clinks. Ellé opened her eyes with great difficulty and grinned.

Her father was a short man, with a gray mustache and bushy brows. Worn, brown goggles were always resting on his messy gray hair. He had warm, gray eyes that smiled every time Ellé was in sight. Many of the families in Artemisia had a peculiar hatred towards his messy style: a great bunch even considered him crazy. Ellé never understood why and she didn't care. She loved him with all her heart. After all, he was the best inventor and scientist on Luna.

Ellé's father flashed a toothy grin and shaked Ellé with even more energy.

"It's all your fault, father." Ellé squeezed her eyes shut, exaggerating a huge stretch. "If it weren't for you, I wouldn't need to work all day and sleep with screws." Her heart drummed loudly in her ears. Could it be? Was this the year she could be getting the best gift ever?

"Be thankful, child." Is what he would always say. This time was no exception. "If it weren't for me, you'd be slaving away in, say, the lumber section? Or perhaps regolith mining? Blame the Queen if you please." He patted Ellé's head like one would to a toddler.

Ellé squirmed.

She knew that he was the only man on Luna who would say something even slightly disrespectful to Queen Levana, despite the fact that no one fancied her way of ruling. Perhaps that was why people called him crazy? Though she disliked the unfair treatment to her father, she quickly shook the thought away.

"I'm not a child, I'm nineteen years old." Ellé grumbled, pulling her brown hair up into an inverse ponytail. Her mind was full of gift possibilities: could it be the gloves she longed to have? Could it be the one novel she couldn't put down at the bookstore? She smiled faintly at the thought.

"Well, have a nice day, birthday girl. I must go to work now." He stood up and grabbed a worn leather bag, lifting it onto his shoulders. He marched to the door and grinned at Ellé. The bells hanging from the doorknob jingled merrily.

Ellé instantly shot up.

Disappointment filled Ellé's heart. Anticipation swept away as if the air was knocked out of her. Silky hair slid from her smooth fingers, the hazel locks splashing around her shoulders. Her father's smile disappeared.

"What's wrong, darling?" He asked, but they both knew he didn't need to.

Ellé bit her lips, then whispered. "No present?"

"I..." He stammered, scratching his head guiltily. "Dear, I was too busy... You see, the Queen has started to give me less salary..." He laughed awkwardly. Ellé blinked at him, her eyes watering. The old man looked at his feet, mumbling as quietly as the stars would whisper. "And, well... You know that I've been working on... the antidote."

Ellé's gaze shifted to the floor. "It's quite alright, father. I didn't need anything anyways." Her eyes glistened in Luna's fake sunlight, but her rosy cheeks remained dry. A pang of guilt hit the old man in the stomach. She always tried to make him feel better, but all fathers could tell when their daughters were lying.

"Listen, I'll see if I can get you anything, alright?"

"No, father. I'll be fine without a present." Ellé beamed brightly, but her father could see that her eyes weren't smiling. He nodded hesitantly, then opened the door again.

"Have a good day, sweet." He blew Ellé a kiss and left.

Ellé grinned at the door until the sound of jingles faded away. She let out a long sigh and collapsed on her bed.

.

⚠️All photos above aren't mine: Credit goes to Ibuzoo on tumblr⚠️

♡┆BTLPF  || tlc fanficOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara