2nd July - Blessing

Second of July!

Wow, man, this is proving to be harder than I thought.

I very much hope that you are enjoying it. I really enjoyed writing this one :')

<3

Word Count: 1255

______________________

Jason chewed at his fingernails nervously as he stared out at the nightly Gotham traffic passing by. His legs were dangling off the edge of the Wayne Enterprises roof.

He was anxious. Nervous. Jason had come to ask Bruce a very important question. Only thing is, he wasn't sure if his adoptive father would give him the answer he wanted.

He gazed down at the watch on his wrist. It had been a fourth anniversary gift from his boyfriend. Dick was great at gift giving, always had been. He was thoughtful. This wasn't any ordinary watch. It had a backstory.

You see, this watch had been worn by the criminal that Jason and Dick had fought on their first mission together as a couple. Dick had tracked it down from halfway around the world last year, just for Jason. It wasn't just some random object, it was their mission.

The criminal had stolen it from a very important businessman. The watch was was encrypted with a very special code. Their job had been to get it back from the criminal. The mission was obviously a success. The code just happened to say the identities of the entire batfamily. Plus all their strengths, weaknesses. And now Jason had it for safe-keeping and as a memory from their first time fighting side-by-side as adults.

Jason was brought out of his thoughts by the ever-so-silent patter of someone dropping down onto the rooftop behind him. Someone who had a lot of experience sneaking up on people. Not just anyone, the person that he had been waiting for. Batman.

"Bruce." The younger vigilante greeted.

"Jason." His adoptive father returned.

Jason sighed. Well he would have to do this at some point, so why not now? He stood up from his position on the roof tiles, wiping the dust from his hands onto his old cargo pants. He then reached up to the back of his head, unclipping his red helmet and sliding it off, leaving his face covered by only a red domino mask.

"Look, Bruce. I called you here for a rea-"

"I know." The elder interrupted. "I know why you're here."

"Umm... I don't think you do." Jason countered, trying to think of any possible way that Bruce could know what he was about to ask. Surely he couldn't have found out? The only person that Jason had told was Tim! And Tim would never ever betray his trust, especially not with something as important as this.

"I do." He said in his usually gruff voice.

Jason narrowed his eyes at the older man.

Bruce sighed in the silence, pulling his cowl off and placing a hand on his second eldest's shoulder.

"Look, Jason. Every father comes to a time in their life when their kids grow up. Leave home. Find a partner. Want to start their own family..."

He gave his son a small smile.

"Dick has had a lot of girlfriends and boyfriends over the years. And I know that I haven't always been... accepting...or supporting... of the relationship that you two have."

Bruce pulled his hand back and turned to the side, staring off at the bright lights coming from the traffic on the roads.

"But you are both mature adults now. And I trust you both to make the right decisions. I know I wasn't and still am not the best father to you four. Hell, even Alfred knows it. But I love all four of you so much. I'm just not the best at showing it."

He turned back to Jason and chuckled a little. Jason stayed, listening in silence. He wouldn't dare to interrupt Bruce whilst he was actually talking openly with him.

"I see the way that you make him feel. He's happy. He's genuinely happy. You and I both know that Dick has had some... let's just say unhealthy... relationships over the years. This isn't one of them. You're happy too. That's all I ever wanted for you boys."

Jason smiled at his adoptive father. "I love him, Bruce."

"I know you do. And he loves you as well. I can see that now. Jason, I fully support you and Dick as a couple... come here."

Bruce pulled the younger into a hug. Jason was more than a little surprised. Bruce wasn't normally a hugger. That was Dick's specialty. He was a little uncomfortable at first but soon relaxed into the embrace.

"You have my blessing, Jason."

His eyes widened in surprise. "You mean...?"

"Yes. I give you full permission to propose to Dick. You two make a great couple, and absolutely have my blessing. I can't wait for the wedding."

A tear of happiness slid down Jason's cheek but he quickly wiped it away, squeezing Bruce tightly in the embrace. "Thank you." He whispered. "And how did you know what I was going to ask you?"

Bruce pulled back and smiled at Jason. "I'm Batman. I know everything." He chuckled. "I'll tell Alfred to keep an eye out for a wedding invitation in the mail."

"He still has to say yes, Bruce."

"He will. I know it. Anyways, I better go. I still have Gotham to patrol and I'm sure that your soon-to-be husband will be wondering where you are." Bruce gave Jason another smile, before pulling his cowl back up and grappling over to another rooftop, taking off into the night.

Jason grinned brightly before pulling out his phone and messaging Tim.

'Got the old man's full blessing. Hope Dick says yes. U still coming tomorrow to help plan it?"

"Great! Yep, still coming."

He slid the phone back into his pocket.

Jason whistled and looked up at the stars. "Holy shit, I can't believe he gave me his blessing." he mumbled under his breath.

________________________

A few hours later...

Jason slid into his side of the bed in the dark, comforted by the sound of his boyfriend's steady breathing next to him. He leant over and pressed a gentle kiss to Dick's cheek, whispering "Goodnight baby." He wasn't surprised that Dick was asleep. It was four in the morning and he was probably exhausted after patrol.

Dick stirred next to him when Jason's head hit the pillow. "Jay?" He mumbled, eyes still closed.

"Yeah, it's just me Dickie."

The older rolled over to face his boyfriend and peeled his eyelids open, flashing Jason his pretty blue eyes. "Missed you. How'as your chat with Bruce..." Dick slurred.

Jason smiled at the sight of his exhausted older boyfriend. He was really tired. "It was good, really good. How was patrol?"

Dick groaned in response. "Got shot."

The younger man's eyebrows creased with sudden concern. "What? Where?"

Dick patted the layer of white bandages on his side, just above his hip.

"Are you alright?"

"Mm. Hurt like a bitch. M' probably high on painkillers."

Jason frowned with concern, before Dick reached his arms out and made grabby hands at the younger, wanting to cuddle.

The 23-year-old wriggled closer to his boyfriend, wrapping his arms around the older's waist and allowing Dick to snuggle in close to him. Jason pressed a soft kiss to the other's lips, before Dick laid his head on Jason's chest, closing his eyes once again.

"Love you Jay."

"I love you too, Dickie."