45 || The Fight For Control

Start from the beginning

They were all silent but I didn't miss the glares and subtle nudges, showing Ethan just how unwelcome he was here.

They all seemed to be on the same page- a page I suspected was handed out by Alessio. One that had a step by step telling them to treat Ethan like an imposter. It got so bad that Ethan ended up leaving before we could even make it to the dining room for breakfast.

And when I asked them what was up, none of them gave me a clear answer. Instead they just filed out of the house.

Luckily I had caught Divy at just the right time and with a little pestering she was able to give me all the information she had. Which wasn't enough but it was still something.

Apparently she heard from one of the maids, that overheard Liam telling the other men how they were all excused for breakfast under Alessio's order.

And to make matters even weirder, I walked into breakfast to see that the table was only set with two plate settings.

Alessio's and mine.

And then my eyes naturally trailed to the figure looming over the plate adjacent to mine, to see Alessio's broad form occupying the chair at the head of the table.

The sight of him sitting in his chair as he focused his attention on piling food onto his plate had my guard instantly going up.

Not only was he extremely silent but I couldn't get a read on the man. All I could do was take my seat and bask in the uncomfortably awkward silence as I piled food onto my own plate.

But I could feel it. Something was off and his current demeanour was warning me to proceed with caution.

Not to mention he was simply sitting there without even acknowledging me, why would he excuse all the other men if he was just going to end up ignoring me?

"You have spring break coming up, yes?" The sudden sound of his powerful voice snaps me out of my thoughts. His voice is deep and scruffy like he hasn't talked in a while and when I look over to see his attention on his plate, I observe his face from my angle noting the day old stubble on his chiseled jaw and his slightly messy hair.

I would have voiced my concern had I not been trying to distance myself from him, so instead I clear my throat and go back to my food. "Yes." I confirm.

Spring break was coming up. Granted it was the end of May but my school did things a little differently and pushed it back to a few weeks before our final exams.

I already had an inkling where this conversation was going and so to keep it short and concise I decided to get right to the chase."I already figured I wouldn't be going on the school trip."

When all he does is simply hum in response, I start scarfing down my food, needing to get out of this awkward situation. "That's besides the point, I wanted to let you know that I will be away on business for that week." He replies swiftly.

It's my turn to hum but I offer no real response as I continue shoving eggs into my mouth. It's only when he speaks next that I pause.

"And you will be accompanying me."

I snap my head up, swallowing the mouthful of eggs. He still doesn't look my way but that doesn't stop me from furrowing my brows in distaste once I think about what that would actually entail. Having to be around a hot tempered workaholic.