35| Failed

Chapter 35: Failed (Gianna's POV)

Unfortunately, I lost that game, and I'm about to be one sore loser and blame it on my team. But it's the truth, nobody on my team was that determined to play, but then again, nobody on my team had the devil, Ace Allister, to lose to. 

Right now, Aria and I were sitting by the water, the waves coming up to our feet and then slowly going back. Neither of us has spoken yet. 

"I thought you were going to kill him," she finally said. 

"I thought so too," I mumbled, watching the water, wiggling my toes under it. 

"Why aren't you following through?" 

I paused for a long moment, trying to think of a good excuse. But we all know I don't fucking have one. "I fell for him." I felt her eyes on me. 

"Since when?" 

"Since he turned out to be the perfect fucking husband." I turned to face her. "He's done everything right, Aria. I can't bring myself to do it. I can't even bring myself to hurt him, let alone..." I trailed off. "I asked him what happened between Chase and him. I wanted to know. But he won't fucking tell me." 

"Why not?" 

"Because he doesn't want to ruin how I think of Chase. He's not supposed to be such a nice guy, right? He's a murderer, a boss of a very horrible business." 

"Yeah, but all our families are part of that horrible business. It's not his fault he was brought into it. You know that too." 

"My plan failed," I pouted, staring ahead at the water again. 

"It failed, yeah. But you got something great out of it. What are you pouting for?" 

I glanced at her. 

"Gianna, look. He's the best husband you could ever wish for. You told me earlier that he's doing everything right by you. You can't hate someone like that, sweetie. You might even love him, if not today then tomorrow. Maybe in a few days, weeks, months, years down the line. However long it takes, it's inevitable. You'll fall in love with him." 

"I want to. But doesn't that make me a horrible sister?" 

"I don't know, does it? Wouldn't Chase want you to be happy?" 

"With his murderer?" 

"Let me tell you something, Gianna. Nathan was there that night. And you should know what he told me." 

"What?" I sat up straighter. 

"Chase said something to Ace before he got shot." 

"What did he say?" 

"He asked Ace to help you if you both ever found each other." 

I frowned in confusion. "What is that supposed to mean?" 

"What do you think it means? It means Chase might have known that when it comes to your marriage, Ace would be your father's choice. Just because Chase and Ace weren't on the best of terms, doesn't mean anything. Chase probably knew that Ace wasn't a bad person." 

And Ace said that about Chase too. That he isn't a bad person unless it came to business. 

"You think Chase knew that I would get married to Ace one day?" 

"I don't know. Maybe it's possible. Maybe he wanted to make sure Ace and you were familiar with each other." 

Through his murder? Really?