~ 14 ~

Seolhee turned around when she heard her name. She immediately swiped at her tears when she saw Sunwoo. He was the last person she wanted to see her cry.  

Concern flickered in his eyes, gone so fast that she could have imagined it. He took a step towards her, looking as though he might be about to ask what's wrong, but he walked over and leaned against the rails, looking out at the cars. 

"Stop crying. You're ruining the mood of this place." 

She sniffed, wiping her face with the back of her hands. "So?" she said, her voice wavering. "We're the only ones here." 

"Yeah, and you're ruining my mood." 

Seolhee sighed, unable to even argue with him. She was just too tired. "Okay," she said softly, her voice small. "I'll leave," she said, starting to turn and walk away. 

Sunwoo reached out, grabbing her arm and stopping her. 

"I was just kidding. Don't leave." 

"Well I wouldn't want to ruin your mood," she grumbled, turning around to glare at him. But with her tear-stained cheeks, it did not have the intended effect. He just looked at her sympathetically. She tried to pull her arm away and leave, but he didn't let go. His eyes were tumultuous as he held her gaze, and she finally gave up and just stood next to him, looking out on the bridge, 

"I hear you met your fiancé," he said after a moment. 

"Yeah," she said flatly, not really wanting to talk about it. 

"I'm assuming it didn't go well?" he ventured. 

"I don't want to talk about it," she said, her voice cold. "We're not friends, remember?" 

Sunwoo flinched. "Listen, Seolhee-" 

"No, you were right. And I'm overreacting, I know. You never once gave me an indication that we'd be friends. It's my own stupid fault for hoping." 

"Seolhee-" 

She leveled a glare at him. "Don't say things you don't mean. Don't give me hope if a few days later you're going to be mean and push me away again. We're not friends. Our whole relationship is fake. I know that. It's fine." 

His face was unreadable. He clenched his jaw and looked away, nodding. "Okay. Should I leave?" 

"You can do whatever you want," she said. "I'm leaving." 

Part of her knew that perhaps she was being unfair. Perhaps she should just forgive him and move on. 

She sighed, already feeling guilt set in. She spun around, running back to the bridge. 

He was gone. 

"Sunwoo!" she called, running down the stairs and catching sight of him down the block. She kept running, desperately hoping she'd catch up to him. She wasn't even completely sure why. She wasn't even sure what she'd say once she reached him. 

"Sunwoo!" she called again, running into the road and almost getting run over. Cars honked their horns and she prayed that no one would run her over as she ran across the street. 

Sunwoo either heard her call him or turned around to see what all the honking was about, but when he saw her running across the street his mouth parted in shock and he ran towards her as well. 

They met on the sidewalk. 

"Are you crazy?" he snapped. "You must truly be an idiot. I'm serious. What were you doing?" 

She held onto his arms, steadying herself. She was out of breath, and she wasn't sure if that meant she'd been running really fast, or if simply meant she was out of shape. For now, she'd assume it was her speed. 

"I'm... I'm sorry," she said, still a bit breathless as she looked up at him. "I'm being annoying and petty. I'm sorry." 

His face softened, his eyes briefly falling on her hands, which were still clutching his arms. 

"Oh," she said softly, starting to pull away, but he grabbed her arm and pulled her in for a hug. 

"I'm sorry too," he murmured, stroking her hair and holding her tight. "For being mean and for being unable to make any promises about being friends."

Her heart dropped a little at that. They still weren't friends. She couldn't quite understand it. If he was going to be this sweet, why couldn't they? 

Still, she wrapped her arms around him, hugging him back and deciding to just enjoy the moment while it lasted.