Chapter 20 - Outbreak

English Marine, Allen Henderson, who went out to collect the lottery winner with Ezra, had been one of the soldiers ordered to secure the John Tian murder scene until the police arrived. He, personally, had not been up close to the jeep where the Director's body lay slumped and bloody, but it was still very disconcerting, especially with the great news of contact from the Izzati.

He and his squad set up a roadblock. There was no further incident, and he was relieved after an hour. His shift came to an end, and he returned to staff quarters on the SEASA base. Elizabeth, his wife, looked distraught. He held her.

'You've heard, then?' he softly asked to her ear.

'Frightening. But it was bound to happen?'

He looked at her tearful face. 'What was bound to happen, love?'

'The outbreak.'

'What?'

'The first cases of the animal virus mutating to humans has been reported. In the city. And in several other Asian countries. It's already spreading fast, and it's very nasty.' She saw his confusion. 'What were you talking of, Allen?'

'John Tian has been shot dead on the exit road. Assassinated.'

She burst out crying and they embraced harder. She had heard about the Izzati news, from a friend. 'And on the day we got word from the Izzati. Have the people responsible been arrested?'

'No, not yet. So, the virus is out? They'll lock down the base. We'll be okay, babe.'

'But our families, Allen. I'm so worried.'

'We've had things like this before. They know how to keep safe. Don't upset yourself.'

He put on the TV. Skipping through the news channels found politicians urging calm, while the situation was assessed. There was also scenes of supermarket queues and public arguments.

The event, so long feared, was starting.

Dinah Walker had returned to Amsterdam, to be reunited with boyfriend, Dmitry, and to resume her studies. Seeing her parents and reacquainting herself with England had been wonderful, but this was her home now.

During a normal, everyday Wednesday, she was riding a tram home from college. The tram tracks were on one of the ancient, filled-in canals which criss-crossed the city. Dinah sat there, wrapped up, happily watching the world go by. People were shopping, or cycling. Amsterdam was the prettiest place in the whole world.

She thought about Dimitry, as she did most minutes of each day. They were happy. What would she cook him for dinner? What would they do tonight? She remembered something funny he had said the other day, then found that she was daydreaming about silly things, like the way he always perched on the edge of the bed to put his socks on, like a bad tightrope walker. She remembered the last time he had come to bed late, cuddling her and saying he would warm her up, but his body was freezing; how they had giggled uncontrollably. She shook a little smile from her lips.

But then she began to notice more and more people wearing face masks on the street. There had always been one or two in recent years, mainly worn by the health zealots or by Asian tourists. But this was noticeably more evident, and people were not actually shopping or cycling, they were walking or riding fast to get somewhere.

Then the chatter in the tram carriage rose up a notch. People were hearing the news on their phones. Panic was in the air. People stood, seeking to exit at the next stop. Mothers clasped their children to them. Dinah looked at the old man next to her, while reaching in her bag for her own phone.

'The virus has moved to humans,' he informed her. 'It's very virulent, apparently. People are being told to stay home.'

'Oh. What will happen, do you think?'

'National lockdown, that's the plan, I believe. Best thing is to go home, miss.'

'Yes, I am doing. You be safe.'

Dinah got off the tram and walked quickly to the apartment she shared with Dmitry. He was there, on his day off, and had just heard the news himself. He kissed her and held her. He helped her off with her coat and she kicked off her shoes. They went through to their small lounge, which was warm and cozy, and dropped down together onto the sofa. There was nothing more to say. It had been bound to happen eventually. They held each other, long after the sun went down and the apartment moved into darkness.