38: confrontation.

Words couldn't begin to describe the immense annoyance I felt

I tried my best to stay low since my return to Forks. I investigated on my own and kept my distance from the Cullens and the pack. But things were getting... weird. With the strange cases of disappearances recently in Seattle, it only made my staying alone dangerous. I didn't want to get implicated with anything so it was decided I'd move closer to their house. Heaven forbid that I ended up meeting all these people that disappeared. It didn't take too long to understand on my own that someone was going on a rampage and creating newborns. Upon my own investigation, I stumbled upon a small herd of them attacking several people.

They were like animals.

I cringed at the thought of my first interaction with that hunger. The immense thirst that can only be squelched by blood. Had I looked this savage as well? It was undignified.I squeezed my eyes shut as I turned away from the ungodly sight.

There was no way I could end them alone. With the numbers they had and whoever else created them... I currently didn't have a chance. This was something I would need to bring up to the Cullens. What turned into a nightly stroll for my dinner just ended with a new discovery. From the top of the building I stood on, I noticed another set of vampires that also watched in the distance.

I cursed myself as I saw the Volturi. Of course they'd be here. There was no way something like this could go unnoticed. These newborns have already implicated them and their inaction was something most vampires will be talking about.

As much as I wanted to say hi to Demetri, I had to go. If my presence lingered any longer; the newborns would notice.

It was when I was several blocks away did I stumbled upon Jane. She had the same gaudy look on her face and I could only roll my eyes. The last thing I wanted to do was confront the Volturi. I sighed in relief at the realization that she was alone.

"Sage." She was the first to speak. She seemed to exude more dominance since the last time I saw her. Something's changed.

"What are you guys doing nearby." I crossed my arms over my chest as I stared directly into Jane's deep red eyes. She was never alone, that much is certain.

"Nothing that concerns you."

"You're close to my territory, so it does." I snapped back as I unfolded them to get ready for an attack. She only smirked as silence befell us. "She hasn't turned yet. I would've informed Aro." There was no need to tell them that the date was set.

"Good to know you're still complacent."

"Coming from his pet." I rolled my eyes. The animosity in her tripled at the comment but she didn't react. "I'm not fond of you." She blatantly spoke. "Whatever hold you have on Demetri... has rendered him useless. He wasn't able to track you even though I smelled you from miles away."