Chapter Three | Falling Down

Start from the beginning

“Is Mum coming?” she asked suddenly, cutting him off.

“Yes, she’s on her way.”

Dom pulled her hand away and opened her eyes, reaching for the glass of water on her bedside table “She doesn’t need to come; owl her and tell her not to bother. I’m fine.”

Bill had gone through so many adventures, fought so many evils and seen so many horrible things-but hearing his own daughter lie to him, see her lying in a hospital bed with so little strength was scarier than any tomb he’d ever entered. He didn’t know the counter curses, couldn’t see his escape route-so he nodded and turned away, preparing to owl his wife and tell her not to bother coming, Dominique was fine.

            Raindrops struck the windows of the hospital wing, providing Dom a soothing lullaby in the big, empty room. She’d spent the night shivering beneath the thin sheets, to cold to get out of bed and as Madam Pomfrey to make the room warmer. Her father had left a half hour after she woke up, then visited her again while she ate supper-how she had hated supper.

The chicken had stuck in her throat in a dry, heavy lump along with the potatoes and carrots-she couldn’t even look at the pudding. But Madam Pomfrey was ruthless, making her eat every bite; Dom had drank water between each sip, which she knew made her fuller faster, and then drank a large glass of milk before going to the bathroom. She hadn’t wanted to throw up, but everything was so chaotic and unorganized, she wanted to have one thing under control.

The next morning Poppy Pomfrey placed a heavily laden breakfast tray on her bedside table, standing by her bed and watching her swallow every bite. “You need to keep your strength up Ms. Weasley,” she said kindly “A smart girl like you needs to be able to focus in class-come and see me if you have any more dizzy spells or anything else of the sort, okay?”

Dom had mumbled a vague agreement and rushed out of the Hospital wing as fast as possible, tugging her long grey sweater tightly around herself. Making a detour into the closest loo, the eggs, bacon, pancakes and fruit came up easily-there was only the smallest bit of blood, but she brushed it off as not throwing up in a while.

Popping a mint in her mouth, Dom left the bathroom to see Ben rushing out of the hospital wing, looking frantic. He looked up and down the corridor, and he sighed with relief when he saw Dom, dull grey light hitting her as she walked into the corridor.

“Dom!” he cried, rushing up to her and pulling her close in a tight, crushing hug. Dom was so surprised that she didn’t pull away, didn’t say a word-just let him hug her. “I was so worried-they wouldn’t let me see you-are you okay?”

The minuet he asked her if she was okay, the warmth that had spread through Dom turned to ice, and she pushed him away. Her eyes were blazing as she balled her hands into fists “I’m fine, for Merlin’s sake, can people stop asking me that?

“Dom-”

“No!” she said, looking rather mad with her pale eyes and curls everywhere, face flushed and looking as if she may just throw something. “Don’t Dom me, Benjamin Wood! You have no right to ask if I’m okay, I am perfectly fine-I don’t need your help!