Chapter 29

~Present Day, June, 2010~

Elle's POV

Four days later, and she hasn't woken up.

She survived surgery—barely. The doctors told me she crashed three more times.

Now, she lies still in her hospital bed, her skin pale and damp with sweat. She's not on life support, thank god. The doctors are sure she'll wake up, they just don't know when. And they don't know how much damage she suffered when her heart stopped.

There's a chance her mind will never be what it used to be, they say. But I know Carli. Even if something goes wrong, even if she's not the same, she'll work until she is. I'm more worried about her heart.

I'm worried she'll pull away from me and I won't be able to get her back. I'm worried she'll blame herself for all of it and I won't be able to save her from herself. I'm worried she won't let me be there for her.

Her hand is in mine. I've been here everyday, waiting, praying for her to wake up. The others come and go in shifts, making sure I have someone with me. Spencer is currently in the cafeteria, trying to find us some jello.

It's just me and Carli, my eyes glued to the screen of her heart rate monitor and my own pulse racing at the thought of her flatlining again.

I've seen her die twice now. Twice.

After the first time, I swore never again. I never considered I would be wrong.

I lean against the mattress, resting my head on her hip. Her right arm, the one I'm holding, is covered in bandages below her elbow. There's bandages everywhere—her shoulder, arms, neck, chest, stomach.

I run through the list of injuries in my head.

Concussion. Gunshot to the shoulder. Knife slice left arm. Wound on the right. Cuts and bruises from being beaten. Bruises ringing the neck from being choked. Stab wound in the leg.

14 stab wounds in the abdomen.

I worked out the timing in my head, once the doctors told us of her injuries. When we received the video, it must have been taken at least an hour before.

Which means for an entire hour, Carli hoped we were coming to save her.

And I let her down.

I wipe away a few escaped tears with the sleeve of my jean jacket. It's Carli's, the cuffs worn and the buttons loose from years of use. I wear it more often than her, but I know she doesn't mind. I know she loves seeing me in it.

Like the necklace I wear, or the t-shirt Carli prefers to sleep in, it's something that connects us even when we're not together. Something to hold on to when I can't hold on to her.

I lift a hand, tangling it in Carli's hair. She takes a deep breath, her head tilting against my hand.

It's a tiny movement, but the most she's given me in days. I lean closer, my face hovering over hers.

"Carli?"

She shifts again, her hand tightening around mine.

"I'm here," I whisper.

She takes another shaky breath, and her eyes open. She blinks a few times, processing her surroundings.

Her lips part in a sad smile. "Y-you look—"

"Terrible, I know," I interrupt. "Now kiss me."

I crush my lips to hers, and she complies.

It's everything I've ever wanted—her in my arms, her lips on mine, our hearts beating in sync. The world could fall apart around us and I would be okay, as long as I had her.