Chapter 1

Hello everyone, I made this story with the thought it'd be surrounded by romance and love and challenges, but so far, it's turned out to be quite the thriller. Well, not thriller-esk, but it's empowering. Somehow, it quickly began to center around race and power and status. 
I also only wrote this because I had an awesome dream about everything that happened.

Throughout the book, the main character tries to discover what it means to be alive as a ‘lower being’ in a new world. Originally, she believes herself to be human until an accident occurs, and she finds herself to be woken up in the middle of what she thought to be some sort of cosplay festival. Oddly enough, these strange creatures weren't human, which she quickly realized after being attacked and nearly killed. Now she's got to learn how to survive in this new, scary environment where everyone's out for her demise. 

I've learned a lot of the parts in this book relate to real-life events, places in the present, and the past. You'll see a lot of connections between actual human historical events and the goings on in this book. 

The main character is, above all, head strong and bold. She's unafraid of the social normal and any punishments that come when defying them. 

(Sorry, there's no pretty book cover yet, it's in the works)

Now, without further delay, 

—-•Chapter 1•—-

My name is Ophelia. I live in Chicago, Illinois and I'm 17 going into my senior year of high school. It's the 21st century-.. It was. I'm your average teenage girl, I have a few friends here and there I know from each of my classes. It was just about a quarter of the way into the school year when my life changed. Let me tell you how it went.

One night I was walking home from school. I stayed late to work on a project with some classmates and by the time we cleaned up, the sun was setting. I don't know if you've ever been to Chicago but it's busy, far more than your average little town. The buildings are tall, there are lights usually everywhere. You're never alone on the streets. And you carry a weapon with you if you're a 17 year old little girl. Although people are dangerous, the roads are too. Where I was going was a busy street. Even at night the city is booming. The knife I carry with me everywhere didn't help me much when a bus went out of control. A bus. I know, how often does a bus lose control? Shut up.

I got hit.

This moment lasted far longer in my eyes than it did to the spectators. I watched it come closer to me as I realized there was no way to run away from it. I could see the fear in the driver's eyes when they met mine. My body felt light as air as I watched then suddenly heavier than steel when it hit. My entire world dropped around me.

I never woke up from that.. Not in my time period, anyway. Not that I found out it was a different century till later. You can imagine how that went but I'll try to write it out for you starting now.

Everything had been dark for so long. I saw so many things I can't remember. I had a dream that I woke up during the midst of a break in at my house, that was horrifying.. Though, I prefer the break in over where I'm waking up now.

My whole world is covered in a foggy glaze. No, it's not my eyesight, it's actually the world around me. Chicago is different. I thought at first maybe there was an event or the power began to shut down but-.. that wasn't it. It was darker and the air was thicker. I'm in an alley but it's covered in vines and leaves. There are bugs everywhere..

There's what everywhere-

"Ugh!.." it sounded more like a panicked shriek from my voice but I won't admit to that.

I got up and tried my best to get whatever these nasty little bugs were off me. They weren't normal, they had a natural glow on them. Almost like a firefly but in the body of a caterpillar.. Gross..