I leaned back in the chair. She clearly wanted to size me up, so why not show myself as naturally as I could. I propped my leg up on my knee and folded my hands casually in front of me. While she sized me up, I wondered if she found me attractive. While she didn't show any hint of interest, her eyes were roaming my body, probably more than her training permitted acceptable.

I didn't comment on Keres's wandering gaze as she watched me. Her jaw was tense, and her eyes focused on mine. There was no hint of anything distracting her when she looked at me. I moved my obsidian hair from my sight as she matched my gaze. It was a pure, intense focus as she said, "I'm assuming that you are not here to kill me. I don't believe you're here on behalf of your sister or because of political interests in the Summer Court. So I'll ask you this only once, Nyx, considering it's a privilege that I'm calm enough not to be slicing you from pelvic bone to sternum."

I smiled at her death threat. I was curious at the idea of her showing off her strength and skill even though she was suggesting using me as the demonstration. Despite the image in my head, I was listening to her intently, which made her pause. Despite my reputation for being the laid-back future high lord, I was anything but. Sure, in my youth, I was more relaxed. But I'd matured quickly, especially after my time in the Illyrian camps. While I still retained the playboy reputation by choice now. Just as my father's cruel persona in the Court of Nightmares did for him, it worked in my favor.

Keres's reservations seemed to dissipate as our gazes met. I wish I could look into her thoughts. I wondered if I could peer down the bond just enough to get a glimpse into her mind. It may share some light on how she feels about me. Though from her reservations, I wouldn't assume very high praise from her. I was about ready to see if I could worm my way into her thoughts when she asked, "What exactly do you want with me, High Lord?"

The question surprised me by how upfront it was. I felt my jaw almost go slack before I composed myself and said, "Please don't call me that. I would much prefer you to call me Nyx, princess." Keres stiffened, and her nose scrunched as she said, "If I am to refrain from calling you High Lord, then you can't call me Princess. Call me Keres." I chuckled at her before I said, "But Princess has a much better ring to it. It just rolls off the tongue." As I said the title, I made myself almost purr the name by rolling the syllables.

Keres rolled her eyes at my action before she said, "No one calls me Princess, Nyx. Everyone knows I would remove their tongue if they did." I smirked at her words, the thought suddenly filling my head as I said, "While that sounds like an entertaining idea, I could think of something more pleasant to do with my tongue. Though probably not proper exchange between us, seeing as your a Princess and all."

The slight blush that appeared right on her cheeks made me smirk before she said, "Considering you're a high lord, any exchange between us is proper." I laughed, and she smiled lightly before she clasped her hands together. Keres seemed at ease but still curious as she asked, "Back to the topic at hand. I don't know why you're here."

I nodded and said, "Yes, that. Unfortunately, that's not as interesting as our past conversation." She glared, and her gaze only made me smirk as I said, "I want to offer an alliance." Keres raised an eyebrow as she leaned back and said, "You do know I'm just the general of the Summer Court. My brother is the political one. I'm sure you've met him, seeing as you two are the next high lords. He would be the one to talk with about alliances."

I chuckled and said, "I'm not looking for an alliance with the Summer Court. I'm looking for an alliance with you." Keres blinked, startled as she asked somewhat incredulous, "With me. Why?" Her eyes were wide with disbelief and slightly narrowed as if she couldn't figure out why. I almost laughed at her oblivious nature and the adorable tension between her eyebrows that I wanted to smooth out. I had to remind myself that I couldn't do all the things I wanted to do to her right now. I brought back the smirk as I said, "Because working with you, darling, is an opportunity that interests me greatly."