Chapter 28

They snuck downstairs, giggling to each other and some workers bringing in flowers for the ball spared them confused glances when Louis plucked a single white rose from their batch, both fucking past a long table two people were carrying. Still, no one could say anything. It was the Marquis, for crying out loud and they got even more weirded out looks when they entered one of the kitchens.

Harry and Louis pressed their backs against the door, nudging each other and Harry bent down, clearing his throat. "Do you think Grims followed us?"

"When we went that fast? Course not." Harry tensed up when one of the servants stretched out a glass of wine to him, smiling gratefully but refusing it.

"I can get water myself, guys. Jesus." Those who had been in the castle before knew fully well that Harry was more the type to order a servant to get him anything and everything he needed so this was certainly... New. They wondered if the man watching him walk to the fridges with a small smile on his face was part of the reason. Louis snapped his head to them when he heard all the buzzing of their voices as they shared their opinions, feeling awkward when they all kept quiet instantly.

"Hey, chill... M'not one of them. Harry isn't, either, really. Not anymore."

"Well that's rude! Maybe I want to be a rude, pretentious, rich, dickish shithead now that I've returned to my roots." The staff were shocked once again since the Royal family didn't swear unless overtaken by rage but Harry didn't slow down, already getting in the zone. He looked through his phone, looking up at Louis with a curious head tilt. "Lou? How do you feel about cookie cake for breakfast?"

"I feel blessed to have my darling princess bake for me, what a time to be alive!" Harry laughed when Louis jumped from glee, asking the kitchen staff where different ingredients were and nodding gratefully when they would call it out. Damn, watching Harry go was incredibly attractive, especially when he rolled his sleeves back halfway through the process. No wonder he used to drool seeing Louis with rolled up sleeves back when he was tending the bar, it was an incredibly hot move.

Louis decided to slip in right as Harry seemed to be taking a break to eye the recipe again and placed the flower in his ear. "For the princess."

"Aww, so sweet, my prince." Louis arched a brow and Harry flushed, flicking flour at him. "Get out 'f my kitchen, m'almost done you impatient little thing!"

"Fine, only because your masterpieces drive me crazy but just know I'll get you back for this later." While they waited for the long stretch of cake to bake, Harry and Louis played around in the kitchen. Sometimes, Louis would remember they were being watched when some staff would giggle at their antics but then Harry would throw some flour at him and he would return to full focus. Once it was out, Harry took out a chunk for he and Louis, asking the others to come along and divide it. He worried they would rush it but they all stood behind a couple of the staff who divided it and shared it all amongst the rest.

"That was so wonderful to watch. Just look at the human race, not being utter fucking trash for a second."

"Wh- hey!"

"Oh, please, you're too lovely to be human, love. We been knew. But that was... They're like a family." They both glanced at each other. Their family experiences weren't the best. Louis gripped his hand. "Let's think about the boys, instead. They're family enough."

"Liam is our overbearing, worrier parent, Zayn's his life partner and the more laid back 'just don't die or I'll kill you' parent, Niall is the dumb brother who is an annoying but lovable little shit- ugh. Should have saved some for them. I think they left a chunk... These people are great, honestly, my father better be paying them what they're due. He was never the type to know how to share. That's why I've lived my entire life feeling both attention starved and too clingy for wanting it. What a prick."