CHAPTER SIXTY ONE

Start from the beginning

"There's no time to pass." Kai spoke with a full mouth as his eyes trailed off to the floor.

The conversation had once again taken a somber turn. An inevitable feat that seemed to have been a reoccurring thing for the past months.

Moving from city to city, staying in a new house every night as they traveled to an unknown destination. Things were slow again, and they weren't going to pick up. Kai felt a small part of himself wishing that something bad would happen again so there'd be some sort of excitement— though he'd never say it out loud.

Daisy on the other hand was so consumed with this longing feeling that boredom was an afterthought. She craved a solitude she'd never achieve.

Maybe she didn't need to sleep. Maybe the human body's reactions to lack of self health was different here and there was no point. But if sleeping was the closest thing she could have to shutting her brain off for even a split second she'd do it, because it sure as hell wasn't off when she was awake.

"Hello?" Kai spoke. Daisy quickly looked up, realizing that she'd zoned out again. "I asked what your nightmare was about."

"The usual." She responded, shrugging a bit as she rummaged through the now empty brownie tray for crumbs.

Kai eyed her, waiting for a further explanation that never came. "Are you ever going to tell me what 'the usual' is because you say that every time I ask."

"Just—" Daisy glanced up at him and started to speak but stopped herself. "A bad dream. That's all."

Kai sighed and glanced up to the clock that sat in the kitchen, a deep groan falling from his mouth as he planted his face in his arms as they crossed on the table.

Daisy didn't even have to ask to understand what he was feeling. She'd felt it every day. Like waiting for something really really exciting, and feeling the days just drag on and on until that exciting thing happens.

But there was no exciting thing. That was the problem. There's nothing. Ever. Forever. And once you've lived a life where you felt what it was like to be truly done, only for a few moments, it made here and now so much more excruciatingly horrible.

"I think I'm going to learn how to fly a plane and go—" Daisy started speaking but stopped when a familiar smell filled her nose. She glanced around the room, then turned back to Kai who's face was still buried in his arms on the table. "Are you high?" She asks.

Kai tilts his head up and Daisy notices that the whites of his eyes were tinted red. His eyes trail over to the brownie pan on the table. Daisy quickly stands up, the chair making a loud noise as it scoot back with her.

"Where did y—" she scrambles for words as she looked up to face him. "How much did you eat?!" She asks.

Kai sniffles, his eyes slowly trailing over to her. "I think so."

Daisy's eyes widen, as she began to shake her head quickly. "How much did I eat?!" She whispered to herself, she turned to face him. "Why didn't you tell me?!" She shouts, dumbfounded that she was too out of it already to even taste it.

She quickly walked over to the counter and leaned against it, biting her fingernails as she quickly tried to calculate how much time she had until the extreme nausea kicked in. She very rarely took edibles in general because they made her too sick, and this was way more than what was recommended.