Prologue

August 7th, 1978
New Orleans, Louisiana

People were talking as the music played loudly in the room. Beer bottles were laid around the floor. It was a hot and moist night in the French Quarter. A woman was smoking her cigarette as people walked past her. She had beautiful features. The woman had long, wavy brown hair and olive eyes. She had a curvy figure as she walked around the bar room. It was hot and humid in the bar, even with the air conditioner stirring the air. Music was playing from the jukebox. The smell of alcohol permeated the bar.

"Veronica!" A man yelled out from the kitchen.

The woman turned her head. She smiled and said, "I'm coming, Zack." Veronica answered.

"Cheeseburger and fries are done. Take them to table three." Zack ordered.

Veronica came over to the window between the bar and the kitchen. She picked up the plate. "It smells good." She told Zack. Then she delivered the plate over to the man at the table next to the bar.

Zack nodded. "My special recipe for a cheeseburger." Zack chuckled.

Veronica chuckled back. The French Quarter was busy with tourists out for a hot summer walk. The flow of people coming inside the bar to eat and drink. Also, it was hurricane season in Louisiana. Zack and Bill had been watching television all day and all night to check on the weather too. Veronica saw a man and a woman come into the bar. She grabbed her order pad. As she made her way to them, Veronica forgot her pen at the bar. She went back to get it. Another waitress came over to them; she got their order. Stephanie was new at the bar. She started to work there two months ago. Of course, she was Bill's daughter from his second wife, Lisa. Lisa came into the bar with spices in a bag. Veronica came over to her.

"Take the bag and put it in the kitchen. Momma is making cajun chicken wings tomorrow for Trevor's tee ball game." Lisa told Veronica. She handed the bag over to the waitress.

Veronica took the bag from Lisa. "Of course." She replied. "The last game of the season. An undefeated season." Veronica said as she went into the kitchen.

Lisa sighed. "Lord, give this win to Trevor and his teammates." She prayed about her son.

Bill came out of the kitchen. Veronica followed him out of the kitchen. Lisa walked up and kissed her husband's greasy right cheek with her lips. Veronica noticed a red lipstick smooch mark on his right cheek. Bill shook his head as he turned toward Stephanie and Veronica. Stephanie was short as well. She was twenty-two years old and a junior in college. Her red hair was up in a ponytail. She had make-up on her face. It was natural to her skin tone. Veronica made a note about Stephanie. The young girl was a New Orleans resident, unlike Veronica. Veronica was a Yankee from Erie, Pennsylvania. She moved south after high school. Also, she was saving up for college. Stephanie lived in one of the wards around the city. Stephanie's mother was a high school teacher. Stephanie's father was a plumber.

"Zack, I want you to take the girls home after closing. There is a madman running around in the city." Bill informed Zack.

Zack looked at Stephanie and Veronica. "I will." He answered Bill.

"Thank you, Zack." Stephanie replied with a smile.

Zack knew he was getting a "thank you" later from Veronica. They were friends with benefits. He did not live far from Veronica. He gave a friendly smile to Veronica before returning to work.