Tanaka: Your Eyes

Start from the beginning

 "Nothing. There's something on your face," you pointed, covering up what you did with a witty smirk on your face. His own eyes expanded and the tips of his ears became a light pink, though for a different reason than your pitiful pining. 

 "Hey!" he scrubbed vigorously, but to no avail, "Wait. There's nothing. What is it?" He leaned forward, asking of you to inspect his face. You put on a mock serious expression, leaning forward with your hands placed behind your back. You cocked an eyebrow up, before slowly bringing your index finger and thumb to his forehead.

 "Hmm," your eyes darted this way and that, "Oh. My mistake. It was just your face." You flicked him sharply, cackling victoriously as he recoiled and placed his palm to the inflicted spot. 

 "Y/N!" he gasped, "I feel. So betrayed. That was so mean and uncalled for! And you know you love this face. All the ladies do." He bragged. You rolled your eyes with an unimpressed look on your face. 

 "Yeah, I think I liked it better when you felt betrayed," you tried to suppress a small smile from crawling onto your face. He slung an arm around your shoulder as the two of you resumed your walk. 

 "Nah, I don't think you mean that," he shook his head, "You love me too much." He had to stop saying this stuff, especially since it was true. You pushed him away.

 "Okay, whatever helps you sleep at night," you kept at teasing him. 

 "Can you do something for me, Y/N?" he suddenly seemed solemn. You turned to him with knitted eyebrows.

 "What is it?" you asked. He batted his eyelashes at you.

 "Can you please kiss my ouchy better?" he pouted as he spoke in a baby tone. His index finger pointed to the spot on his forehead which you had just flicked. "Pretty please? As pretty as you?"

 "Shut up, idiot," you swatted him away. Now it was his turn to triumphantly laugh, basking in the red glow emitted from your cheeks. Once his laughing fit was over, you went back to the noiseless state you had been in before all of this. 

 Your pupils flitted to the corner of your eyes, stealing a glance at Tanaka. He always looked so effortlessly perfect. To you, at least. Others said he had the appearance of a delinquent, and with those faces he made, it's not like he was trying to change that. But you saw the sparkle in his eyes when something made him particularly excited or happy. You heard the electricity in his laughter. You saw the callouses on his hands, but how they never gave him a rough feel. How his cheeks went rosy when he got embarrassed, and a little pout would adorn his face. You adored all of him. But did he feel the same way about you? The answer was probably no. So you had to stop. It was the only wise decision: to drop any and all feelings you had for your childhood friend and realise that you had to mature and grow past this phase at some point. 

 "What's on your mind?" you boldly inquired, "You seem, uh, pretty deep in thought." 

 "Oh," he smiled slyly, "It's nothing really. Doesn't matter anyway."

 "No come on, what is it?" you twiddled nervously with your fingers. What if you were prying?

 "Fine, fine, but only cause I trust you, and I always tell you everything," his eyes were glued to the floor. You looked away from him and mimicked his action, nodding gravely. 

 "Okay," you swallowed. 

 "So, um, there's this girl," he started. Already, your eyes had expanded. "She's super pretty. Uh, I actually think she's beautiful, honestly. She goes to our school, in fact. Which is why I'm so crazy about her. Cause I'm pretty sure we're meant to be together. Like, fate, or something. I know, I know, you're probably thinking: 'Oh, Tanaka, you're being delusional, stop it, she'll never like you back'. I probably think so, too. But I can't help myself. Everyday, I fall for her a little bit more. I don't know if it's something about her eyes, or the way she walks, or her voice. Which is like honey, by the way. And her eyes. Man, her eyes. When she looks at me, I'm convinced that my heart skips a beat. I've timed it, okay?! Yeah, cause I can hear my heart whenever she's close. It beats that hard for her. Ha! I sound crazier than I thought I would. But, damn it, if I'm not being honest. So, yeah, what makes everything that tiny bit harder for me is that she's so close. But so far, too. Like, I could literally pick her up in my arms, spin her around, and kiss her like there's no tomorrow at any second. But at the same time, I can't, you know? Shit, now I'm thinking about her lips. Ugh, please don't think I'm a perv." He started laughing, covering his eyes with one hand. You shook your head.