↬ | chapter twenty-seven

Start from the beginning

   "Gray—" Jasper whispered under his breath; he didn't think that was what she was doing.

   What her plan was, was to buy the others time. Give them enough time to kill the leadership and Cage, without anyone else wrongfully suffering. Have them strap her up on that table, and get every last drop of bone marrow they could, for all she cared. Someone had to do it, and that someone was her.

   "Take her off," the dark brown haired man eventually ordered, having enough of her bullshit, "Put her on. Revenge, for everyone we've lost."

   Fighting it served no purpose. Only to get shocked or sedated, it wasn't worth it. Maybe she'd die at the end of the process, but that didn't mean she was asking for it to happen any sooner. Complying so easily did feel weird, though. It felt unlike her, but in reality, what had she done recently that was like her?

   Shackles to her wrists and ankles, it wasn't a foreign feeling in Mount Weather, she mentally determined. None of them were cautious with how they handled her body, contorting her limbs to fit the strange positioning of the table. Even one was placed around her neck, reducing a majority of mobility that she might've been able to have.

   A faint buzzing, coming from a small device that is handheld by one of the doctors; Maggie couldn't even take the time to see if she noticed him from another time or not. That was the absolute least of her worries in that given moment— the drilling sound flooding her ears was. One of the doctors removed some of the equipment she was wearing, as another started to prepare her hip by disinfecting it.

   At the beginning, when the tip of the drill made contact with her skin, it felt similar to an I.V. being put in at the wrong angle. Nothing but a pinch that caused a little wince to leave her lips. But gradually, as the machine went deeper and deeper, it made her eyes build up in tears. Maggie wanted nothing more than to shoot them all for putting her and others through something so downright agonizing.

   When it was just going through layers of skin and muscle, it was uncomfortable. Pain that made her antsy and feel the need to be flailing about.

   Safe to say, Magnolia could tell when they hit the bone.

   Usually, ignoring pain was a tactic she had used, and oftentimes it happened to work. With this one, however, her brain was too wired and racy to even think back to doing that. There was no facade or plan she could pull out of her sleeve; Maggie couldn't even think straight. That's why she couldn't control the choking sobs that were leaving her throat, that made her feel as though she was being held underwater and unable to get any air. Because, if she could've controlled it, her expression would've been stone-cold the entire time, to not get a rise out of Cage Wallace.

   Really, that's what she planned on doing. That was probably one of her first plans that were scrapped right away.

   Hell, Maggie couldn't help it. Feeling as though her left side was being torn to shreds by a chainsaw, it was not the time for her to be thinking of a plan.

   Her cries fused with the voices of authority calling out, as well as the blaring alarm that had been ringing. She couldn't even hear it, her mind was so jumbled and out of sorts.

   The drilling soon stopped, out of nowhere. It caught her off-guard, because there was no way in hell they had gotten what they needed. Maybe one dose, but nobody was taking her off, or going in for another.

   Magnolia's loud cries dulled down to tears trickling down the sides of her face as her hearing faded back in.

   "Jasper, come back!" one of them yelled out, although she couldn't place a finger in that moment as to who's it was.