8

"Woah," did my eyes deceive me? Or was this really one of the biggest treehouses I've ever seen?

"C'mon, watch your step! One of the steps is a little loose." MingRui had a smile like I'd never seen, wide and just all together happy.

I nodded and gripped the wooden steps mounted onto the old tree. It was a really pretty tree at that, the bark was still a deep brown and it smelled like evergreen even though I was sure it was an oak.

"This is yours? You're treehouse?" I sputtered, already a little phased by the trek upwards.

"Yup! My dad and I built it, well I watched my dad build it, when I was 7. My heart started to fail around then so they didn't know how long they'd have me. So...we decided to build a treehouse for me to live out the rest of my life." I was in utter shock at how cool he was about the whole thing. His heart was failing? This poor kid, everything's wrong with him.

"Oh... how's your heart now?" I asked, maybe asking the wrong question. I didn't know how I was supposed to ask about this stuff.

"Well, I don't have that one anymore, so it's dead. But the one I have now is fine." He laughed, reaching the top of the ladder and pushing open a small door.

"Oh, you had a transplant." I stated the obvious as I followed him through the door and my eyes widened. It was really nice I'm here. Well, what I could see of it, most of the room being illuminated by pure moonlight.

"Yes Sherlock, I did." He teased, bumping me with his hip, a small giggle falling from his lips.
I laughed along, taking no offense to his little joke.

"Let me find a lantern." He said as he moved around in the silver darkness, stumbling over heaven knows what and finally cheering in victory. "Found one!" He said happily. The corner of the room lit up with soft yellow light, MingRui waving the light around and searching the walls.

"Here we are." He said as the flip of a switch sounded throughout the whole structure. Then, there was light. Lots of light. Strings of fairy lights sat dainty on the walls, and a plethora of Japanese style lanterns ran across the ceiling, each with a different, vibrant color and floral print.

"This is amazing." I breathed lightly, heart fluttering at the sheer romanticism of the location. It's all you could ever want.

And MingRui, ugh don't even get me started. The way the boy stood next to me while looking out the window, eyes twinkling in the multi-colored lights. He postured by me with a soft smile and the fluffy black hair that he kept long falling into those eyes. If it wasn't the first time we were hanging out, I might just have reached over and jumped the pretty boy, kissing him like I wouldn't live through the night. But, this is the first time we're hanging out.... so I will not.

"It's pretty isn't it? I like to come up here and get close to the moon. We're good friends by now." MingRui said, but in all honesty I was just looking at his aesthetically pleasing face.

"Really pretty." I conjured, still only seeing him in this world of beautiful things.

"Not me! Look at the moon!" MingRui hit my chest and laughed out loud, the sound was ranking #2 in my favorites. #1 already being taken by just MingRui's speaking voice. #3 was the microwave beep because that meant either pizza rolls or popcorn.

"I can't help it. You're really pretty too. Prettier than the old moon." I crossed my arms and pouted.

He gasped and gave me another hit. "Take that back! He can hear you." He whispered as he pointed at the moon, my heart dropping at how cute he was.

"I don't care. He can hear me say it! Gou MingRui is prettier than you!" I shouted from the window, hanging over windowsill. I could hear GouGou cackling from behind me.