Abuella

"Carlos?" Carlos' grandmother, Valentina called him from the guest room. Valentina's been living with the Garcia's since Carlos was only five. She has been diagnosed with heart failure about three weeks ago and since then, Carlos' faith in God started fading away slowly. He stopped praying and reading God's Word. Usually, his faith in God would still remain when tragic events occur in his life. But, when it comes to his family, it's different.

"Coming, abuela!" Carlos called back as he stood up from the family room sofa and walked into the guest room. His grandmother was laying in the guest room bed. (Just in case some of you don't know what abuela is, it's Spanish for "grandmother")

"Yes, abuela? Her " he asked her.

"I am out of inhaler. Do you mind running over to Walgreens and buying me some more?"

"Of course, abuela," he said politely, flashing her a warm smile. 

She flashed him a smile back. "Carlos, you're such a good boy. Why can't Trevor be like that?"

Carlos rolled his eyes at his brother's name. Trevor was the captain of the football team at their school. Carlos always asked him help take care of his grandmother, but he always said that he's been to with football practices.

"I don't know, abuela," he told her. "I just wish he would just stop focusing on football and think about his family for once. I'll be right back with your inhaler." And with that, Carlos lwalked out of the house and five minutes later, he entered into Walgreens.

"Hey, Carlos!" Daniel, his best friend, greeted him. Daniel worked as a cashier.

"Hey, Daneil," Carlos greeted back.

"What do you need, buddy?" he asked.

"I just need some inhaler for my grandmother."

"Oh, well how is she?" Daniel wondered.

"She's doing okay, I guess," Carlos said, suddenly feeling slightly upset that very soon he will never see his grandmother's beautiful, warm smile again. 

"Well, I'll be praying for her."
"I don't know if prayer is going to do anything," Carlos admitted.

Daniel frowned. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, the more I pray for her, the worse she gets. I don't think I can trust God anymore."

Daniel become quiet for a moment. Then, he finally responded. "Well, I'll be praying for you and for Miss Valentina."

"Thanks, man," Carlos said, giving his friend a small smile. "So, where's the inhaler?"

After Carlos purchased the inhaler, he walked back to the house.

"Abuela!" he called as he stepped into the house and closed the door behind him. "I'm back!" He walked upstairs to the guest room. As he got there, Valentina wasn't in the bed. Carlos walked around in the room to find his grandmother until...

He gasped with shock mixed with terror as he finally found his grandmother on the right side of the bed. She was laying on the floor.

Carlos slowly kneeled down next to her and shook her gently. "Abuela?" he asked weakly.

Valentina didn't respond.

Carlos began shaking her harder and her harder. His heart began pounding and tears began flooding his eyes. "Abuela! Please wake up!" Finally, he stopped shaking her and began crying louder. He looked up angrily. "You happy now, God?"

~

Okay, guys! I reedited it! PLEASE share your thoughts! Constructive criticism is highly appreciated! Thank you for reading. I will be updating more of this.