Setting the Dark on Fire: Chapter 10

Start from the beginning

I make my way to the wall and lean against it.

I am worn out from crying.

A bit of time passes by before Isolde is down by my side.

"Milena, what's wrong?" she asks worriedly.

I don't look up and mumble, "I haven't seen him in almost a year."

"I know," she says.

"But I have good news," she continues.

"What?" I say gloomily, still looking down.

"He's downstairs," she says happily.

"Who?" I say looking up at her.

"Jason. You've been asleep for three days," she says.

My heart leaps and relief runs through me.

I smile and give her a hug.

Then, I jump up and head towards the door.

"Milena, Wait!" she calls out.

I turn around.

She walks over to me, hands me a piece of paper and runs toward her closet.

I open the folded piece of paper and read the writing:

Put on a damn dress or don't come down.

                                                                                   -A

"A is for asshole," I mumble to myself thinking of my father.

Isolde laughs softly as she is walking towards me with her hands full.

She gives me the clothes and I say, "Thanks."

"I'll wait outside," she says.

I nod and wait until she is out the door.

The dress is short, has black sleeves and a black neckline.

The bodice of the dress is metallic silver and has a bow at the waistline.

(picture on the side--->)

I look for a designer tag but there is none.

Isolde probably made it.

I put it on quickly and put on the gray tights and black peep-toe heels that she also gave me.

I walk over to her bathroom, wash my face, and run a brush through my hair before heading out of her room.

Isolde smiles slightly when she sees me and starts walking down the hall.

"You are a great designer," I tell her as I look at the dress I'm wearing again.

"Oh, stop it," she says waving her hand dismissively.

I laugh.

We get to the elevator and she pushes the button for the ground floor.

The doors close and I look at Isolde.

 She seems to be avoiding my gaze.

"What is it?" I ask.

The elevator doors start to open but she pushes the button for them to close again.

She slowly lifts her eyes to mine.

She takes a slow breath in and starts rambling.

"You said you would do anything to have Jason here and the Elders are going to take advantage of that. I can guarantee it. Bringing Jason here so quickly is an enormous favor. That hasn't ever happened, ever. If one of us wants to even marry a human we have to ask for approval. So I can only imagine they're going to ask something of you that is... unreasonable. Also, I just wanted to let you know, in case you haven't figured it out, lycanthropes are immortal. And if Jason stays here you have only two choices. Either you leave him human, let him age, and die. Or you turn him into one of us and make him immortal. And please keep in mind immortality isn't all it's cracked up to be. I'm sorry I'm being harsh but I have to ask: Is this what you really want for Jason and yourself?"

I open my mouth to answer but can't, at least not right away.

Thinking of the favor, I can't think of anything unreasonable that I wouldn't do for Jason.

But the immortality thing was something I forgot about.

I think for a moment before I answer in a quiet voice.

"You're not being harsh because there is no simple way to say all of that. I really appreciate it," I say honestly before I continue.

"And I know it sounds selfish but, I need him. He's everything to me. Everything. I would do anything for him. And all I know is that I need him here with me. I'll let him decide about the living forever thing."

She nodded warily.

 "Jace isn't like me. He's more mature than I am. He's smarter than me. He's the best person I know. He'll make the right decision."

As soon as I say it I know it's the truth.

She nods and the elevator doors open.

Isolde turns to me and asks, "Are you ready?"

"Yes," I answer before walking out the elevator doors.