old rivalries and competitions (part two) - 2

you walk into class the next day prepared. you full well know he will be extra full of himself. the results of last nights game did nothing but bring his ego higher along with your anger. you sit down in your seat, he's not there and hopefully will never come.

you hopes are crushed too soon. harry strolls into the classroom with a smirk on his face that is just begging to be hit. he sits down next to you, leans over, and whispers, "thanks for the confirmation, i am better."

you look over at him, "sorry but one stupid quidditch match is not going to cut it, especially when you totally cheated to win. you are not better than me and never will be. quidditch doesn't define a person either. you can be good at quidditch all you want but when it comes to the real world, winning one stupid match will do absolutely nothing."

he stares at you for a minute, thinking about something hard. "fine," he replies, "if you get a better score than me on this test, then we'll talk."

you roll your eyes but mumble, "fine." secretly you were so happy inside. you spent the last week studying for this test. you had the best notes you could possible take. there is no way he was doing better than you.

still, you were nervous as the tests were handed out. you mumble definitions from the flashcards you made last night, thinking hard as not to forget anything. a sound breaks your concentration, a quiet laugh. you look over to see harry smiling at you, he looks away and you can see his body slightly shaking with laughter.

you look at him until he looks back at you. you smile and turn your head and say it the most threatening way you can, "yeah, keep smiling, it won't be there much longer."

that pretty much shut him up the rest of the time. as the test reaches your desk, you jot your name in the top right corner. the first question is easy, you had read about it last night. as you continue you are very impressed with yourself, this test is a breeze. once you're finished you make sure to triple check each answer you got. a couple times you went too fast and forgot to answer every part of the question, but realized and quickly fixed it. you finished with five minutes to spare and harry finished not long after you.

 you finished with five minutes to spare and harry finished not long after you

the next day...

your teacher enters the classroom, "today I will be teaching you a new lesson. to not distract you all, I will be passing the tests back after class," they address the class. oh god why you think, now i'll be stressed all class about this.

which was correct. the entire class you were only focused on what would happen if you did worse than harry. surely he had to have done worse then you, but he's surprisingly smart sometimes. the class goes by agonizingly slow. finally it starts to wrap up and you stare as they grab the stack of tests and put it on their desk.

the teacher calls each student by name, your hands are shaking. you feel like you did well, but you kept overthinking all of your questions afterward. if harry got a better score than you it was game over. there is no way you could let him beat you twice in a row.