xiv. palace of death

Start from the beginning

The line coming from the right side of the judgment pavilion was much better. This one led down toward a small valley surrounded by walls—a gated community, which seemed to be the only happy part of the Underworld. Beyond the security gate were neighborhoods of beautiful houses from every time period in history, Roman villas and medieval castles and Victorian mansions. Silver and gold flowers bloomed on the lawns. The grass rippled in rainbow colors. Laughter rang in the distance, and the smell of barbecue wafted to their noses.

Elysium.

In the middle of that valley was a glittering blue lake, with three small islands like a vacation resort in the Bahamas. The Isles of the Blest, for people who had chosen to be reborn three times, and three times achieved Elysium. Aster stared at it in the distance; that's where she wanted to end up. To do something that mattered in life so much that she could make it to Elysium, and be reborn to do it all over again.

"That's what it's all about," Aster said to Percy, who was also staring at the Isles. "That's the place for heroes."

There were few people in Elysium, compared to the Fields of Asphodel or even the Fields of Punishment. It was sort of depressing how little good people did in their lives. Aster now truly understood that she would have to make her life matter.

The group left the judgment pavilion and moved deeper into the Asphodel Fields. It got darker. The colors faded from their clothes. The crowds of chattering spirits began to thin. They must have been getting closer to Hades's Palace, which would mean they were becoming more dead.

That's a little concerning, Aster thought to herself.

After a few miles of walking, the group began to hear a familiar screech in the distance. Looming on the horizon was a palace of glittering black obsidian. Above the parapets swirled three dark bat-like creatures: the Furies. Aster felt the blood drain from her face, but the Furies didn't attack. They must have been waiting for them to come to their claws. Or perhaps Hades wanted to watch while they ripped them apart. Either way, Aster was not a fan of the three mean old ladies.

"I suppose it's too late to turn back," Grover said wistfully.

"We'll be okay," Percy said, but his voice was full of fake confidence.

"Maybe we should search some of the other places first," Grover suggested. "Like, Elysium, for instance..."

Aster grabbed his arm, urging him forwards. "Come on, goat boy."

Grover yelped. His sneakers sprouted wings and his legs shot forward, pulling him away from Aster. He landed flat on his back in the grass.

"Grover," Annabeth chided. "Stop messing around."

"But I didn't–"

Grover yelped again. His shoes were flapping like crazy now. They levitated off the ground and started dragging him away from them.

"Maia! " he yelled, but the magic word seemed to have no effect. "Maia, already! Nine-one-one! Help!"

Percy reached for Grover's hand, but it was too late. He was already picking up speed, skidding downhill like a bobsled.

Aster barely got to think before she ran after Grover, with Percy and Annabeth at her heels.

Aster shouted, "Untie the shoes!"

Grover tried to sit up as the shoes dragged him along, but he couldn't get close to the laces. Aster, Percy, and Annabeth ran faster. The shoes pulled Grover every which way, almost like they were trying to lose them. Aster didn't have time to think about it as the satyr zipped between the legs of spirits, who chattered at him in annoyance.