v. we're going on a quest!

Start from the beginning

"You'd oversleep, that's what," Steve said with a grin, and Aster nodded reluctantly. Most of their siblings were still asleep, only Katie's bed being empty.

Aster yawned. "Why'd you wake me up so early? Not trying to impose your early bird philosophy on me, are you?"

"Oh, you wish," Steve scoffed, "but Chiron's asked to see you. Grover came trotting by, muttering like a madman."

Aster sat up immediately. "Huh? What for?"

"No idea. But I'd bet good money that it had something to do with that Poseidon kid."

Camp was slowly waking up when Aster made her way over to the Big House. There weren't that many campers out and about, which gave Aster some quiet to think as she walked. If Percy went to speak to the Oracle, which Chiron had authorized after she had asked, would he be offered a quest? Would he ask her to go with him? Would she accept?

Aster pushed aside all of her questions as she noticed some huge storm clouds that were heading towards camp. They had a magical barrier around them which kept the weather warm and sunny, but Aster could have used some rain on her face right then, if just to clear her head. She used to stand outside during storms all the time when she was young, her dad dancing and spinning around with her until they were soaked to the bone.

Aster shoved the memory away, but the ache in her chest didn't ease.

When she arrived at the Big House, Mr. D and Chiron were playing pinochle with some invisible people, if the three sets of floating cards were anything to go off of. "Cheater," Mr. D muttered to one of the invisible folks, and he waved his wand and the cards dropped.

"Ah, Aster!" Chiron said warmly. "A pinochle spot just opened up! Would you like to join us?"

"Against Mr. D?" Aster shook her head. "I'd lose in two minutes."

"You'd lose in less than that, Arbor Roe," Mr. D said, taking a sip of Diet Coke.

Aster nodded in agreement, knowing better than to correct Mr. D (if he hadn't learned her name after five years, he was never going to learn it). She turned towards Chiron. "I was told you wanted to speak with me."

"Yes, I do," Chiron placed his cards face-down on the table. "An opportunity for a quest has opened up. I feel that you should take it."

Aster's brow furrowed. "Me? Why me? Annabeth has been wanting to go on a quest for ages."

"She would be going as well. Percy Jackson would be leading the quest."

"Percy," Aster deadpanned. "He nearly got himself killed during capture the flag, and not to mention in every other activity other than canoeing. His head is full of seaweed!"

Chiron chuckled. "He may be untrained, but he has the heart of a true warrior. A heart that I know you also possess. The skills possessed by you and Annabeth should be more than enough to balance him out." The centaur hesitated, but spoke again. "Percy is not the issue you are grappling with, is it?"

Aster sighed, looking out towards a familiar pine in the distance. "Are you sure it's worth it? To leave? With the chance that I might never come back?"

Chiron's eyes softened. "Every chance to see the world and better ourselves is worth it. Do not allow fear or mistrust rule your life, Aster. From what it sounds like, your dreams have been pointing you in this direction; it is a wise thing to follow. Your gifts may be needed."

Aster was quiet for a while, then nodded. "Alright. I'm ready."

"Excellent," Chiron said. "It seems like Percy is arriving now."