Chapter 27

Annie's P.O.V

2 Years Later...

I walk up to my apartment door. I swiftly turn around and face my date, Filip. "So, I had a really good time tonight."

"Yeah, me too," I lie. Please don't ask for another date. Please, I plead internally.

"So, maybe we can do this again sometime."

"Maybe, but you know given my situation it may be hard with my tight schedule."

The brown-haired man responds, "I totally understand. Well, no, I don't totally understand because I don't have a tight schedule. But I understand where you are coming from."

I laugh at him rambling on and he looks at me sheepishly, "Yes, I understood what you meant."

"So, I had a really great time. Shoot, did I already say that?" I nod. "Well, I did. I'm sorry, I've just been so nervous."

"You were great," I say truthfully. It was a great date, but I don't want to go on another one. We are just good as friends. "You were very gentlemanlike."

Filip's face blooms into a goofy smile. He looks down and scratches the back of his neck, and mumble something. I ask if he can speak clearer. "Can I kiss you goodnight, Amelia?"

"Oh Filip, I had a really great time, and you were amazing, but I have strict dating rule. We can only kiss after our sixth date. So, I hate to break it to you, Buddy, but you got five more dates to go."

"Okay, fair game. What about a hug? Or do I have to wait till date three for one of those," he says jokingly.

"You have to wait till date four for a hug," I let out a sigh of frustration. I try to keep a straight face, but my lip betrays me, when I let out a laugh.

Filip waddles like a penguin towards me and snakes his arms around my waist. I throw my arms around his neck. He pulls me into a warm comforting hug. This is the first time since Mike, I have touched the opposite gender, so affectionately.

My heart starts to feel heavy and the thought of the man I still love despite it being two years. I sigh and slowly pull away.

We both stand still, both looking towards the ground. "So, I'll call you tomorrow. I don't mind what our next date is, we can stay in if you want."

I nod. I contemplate whether to tell him that I rather us just be friends. But the smile on his face never wavers. I decide that tonight he will remain happy, but tomorrow I will tell him the news. We say our goodbyes. Filip wakes to the elevator and presses the down button. He looks at me, and waves with a smile on his face. I wave back and smile at how carefree he looks. He steps onto the elevator with a final wave.

I sigh and press my back to my apartment door. Today was the first time in two years that I have been on a date. The first time I have hugged somebody so intimately. The first time I have gone out to eat at such a fancy restaurant.

As my heart's strings pull as my mind wanders to Mike, my hand unconsciously goes to my neck. My hand traces the silver links until it reaches the bulky heart. I look down and read the locket like I always do when I think about Mike. Almost the exact words on the engagement band he was going to give me, the tiny script read, "Mike, you have graced my life with your love, compassion and perfection. You will forever be in my heart."

My hand opens the heart locket. I am graced with two beautiful pictures. One of Mike and I laughing with our lips locked, and the other of just my baby. My eye begins to cloud up for a build up of tears about the flood my vision. I close the locket gently and look up towards the ceiling. One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Six. Seven. Eight. Nine. Ten. I count in my head. Then, I begin to count backwards starting at ten.

I focus on my breathes, they were once rapid. But as I continue to count, they slow down to normal. I search through my purse for my apartment key. Once I find it, I gently put the key through the hole and turn softly, making sure I do not wake up anybody in the apartment encase they are sleeping.

I open the door slowly, only to see my two roommates watching television on the couch. One of my roommates is Rachel, the girl from the drug store I went to for hair dye, she had really helped me make a life here is Paris. "Shhh, Holden is sleeping."

I nod my head and quiet go to my room. I slip out of my clothes and put on a hoodie. Not just any hoodie, Mike's hoodie that I took before leaving. I tug the hoodie up and take whiff. Mike's scent is almost completely gone, but the little fragrance left brings me comfort.

I let out a sigh. I walk out of my room and decide to check on Holden. Walking into the room, I feel the humidity of the room is immediately different. Slowly look over Holden's sleeping body, I whisper and place a kiss on his forehead, "Goodnight my precious baby boy."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please Vote, Follow, and Comment. Every bit of feedback is taken into consideration.

Thanks for reading!

Love you guys 💛