Chapter 24

Annie's P.O.V

I look at him with desperation, hoping he would listen to me. He shakes his head and yells, "It was you?" I nod weakly. Mike starts to laugh. "I can't believe I was going to tell you I love you. I am such a fool to think somebody was this perfect."

"Mike. List-"

"Listen! Listen! You want me to listen," Mike exclaims with anger. "No Annie, you listen. I was about to tell you that I love you. I was ready for us to move one step forward in this relationship."

Mike walks to his side table and pulls something out. I flinch in fear, thinking it's gun. "You really thought I was going to pull a gun on you. You are, I mean were, the love of my life." Mike throws something at me and I see it is a small velvet box. I open it not sure if there is a ring inside, I gasp at the sight. "I was going to ask you to marry me."

I remain silent. Mike laughs, "Don't you have anything to say. I finally thought my life was brightening up. Even through the whole robbery that you orchestrated, I thought, 'Hmm, I have Annie. I don't need to worry about anything in the world because I have love.' I was so foolish back then. One minute can really change so much."

I slowly open my mouth thinking of what to say, but I quickly close it. I look at Mike on the bed with his hands digging into his eyes with distress. I open my mouth once again, "Mike." He looks up at me. "I was going to tell you. There were so many times when I wanted to. I really did, but every time I tried it was the wrong time. I feel extremely guilty. Just a few seconds ago when you said, 'I love you,' and you were on the phone I said I had to tell you something first. I was going to tell you, I promise."

"How am I supposed to trust you when you lied to me this whole time? What do your promises even mean?"

I cry, "You can trust me because I love you!"

Mike sighs and gets up. He starts to come closer and closer as I back up until his nose is touching mine. I look up at him with hope. "Annie, a mere two minutes ago, I would've died to hear you say you love me. But don't you understand, I don't love you anymore."

"But, you said you did."

"Annie," Mike sighs in frustration. "Trust and love can easily be taken away. You basically left me broke and probably only stayed because of your guilt, not because of me."

My tears are like a river, they won't stop. I hold my hand to my chest because of the ache I feel. "Now, we are both going to get dressed and we will talk about it, okay?"

Mike walks to the bathroom with clothes. I go to the closest and put on a bra, Mike's t-shirt, underwear, sweatpants and Mike's hoodie. I sit on the bed and open up the soft velvet box. I trace the small diamond on display against the silver band. The tears keep pouring out, I place the ring on my finger. I look at it and sigh. I take it out, I see a tiny script on the inside of the inside of the silver band. "Angel, you have graced my life with your love, compassion and perfection. I hope our love lasts as long as this diamond," it read. 

I go to Mike's side table, and pick up the notepad and pen. I write a letter and decide to flea the room. I leave my phone behind so Mike can't track me, and I grab my wallet. I leave all the money I've earned on his side table as that is the least I can do for him. I run out and call an Uber.

Just as I start to get into the Uber, Mike come barreling out of the house. I request for the driver to drive quickly. As the driver exits Mike's neighborhood, I look back and see Mike standing defeated in the middle of the road. 

As the car drive, more tears pour from my eyes. I watch as the trees pass by one by one until the car finally comes to a halt. "Here you are Miss, the airport."

"Thank you so much," I say sadly. 

"I know it is probably none of my business, but are you okay?"

"Oh you know how love can be sometimes," I laugh to get the driver to stop talking, but I don't want to be rude. Laughing is hurting my heart right now and I don't know if I can take it.

I exit the car and run into the airport. I go to the front desk, "Hi. I was just wondering what is your earliest flight?"

"Um," the lady at the front desk draws out. "You never told me where. So where would you like to  go?"

"Anywhere in Europe."

"There is a flight to Paris, France in about one hour."

"Okay, can you please book it for me?" I sigh. As the lady is booking the flight, I look around and can help, but feel an overwhelming sense of sadness from seeing all the couples around. I see a hand waving in front of my face and a ticket is handed to me. "Thank you so much."

"Farwell New York. Farwell, my love," I whisper. Perhaps it was best that you caught me now before we were both way too deep, I think. But I wish I could go back and change everything that had happened. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please Vote, Follow, and Comment. Every bit of feedback is taken into consideration.

Thanks for reading!

Love you guys 💛