09

MADELINE

Riccardo was glaring at me

Riccardo was glaring at me. I could feel his hatred spewing at me from where he stood with his hands deep in his pockets. Even though Ángel made a vow to protect me, it didn't ease the fear knocking on my emotions, ready to pry in at any given second.

Riccardo was whispering to my father. I didn't know what they were saying but both of them kept making small glances at me.

I gulped.

"Hold on a second," Ángel said to me. I nodded my head and watched him walk past me, and over in the direction of Riccardo.

Riccardo looked spiteful. Not only that, but he looked like a total wreck. Bags were present under his eyes and his dark hair was a nest on top of his head. I was aware of the damage Riccard would face when I got married to another man. Not only would his chances of being the Don slim down to nothing, but the embarrassment of having his fiancé pried from his hands would be almost unbearable.

Despite it all, I grew up with Riccardo. I knew him like the back of my hand. The look on his face was not civil as he talked to Ángel despite the smile that presented itself on his face. No, the look on his face told me he was planning something-something terrible.

I walked off the dance floor in a search of Mr. Sicilian to warn him. After looking around the entire venue, I spotted him far in a secluded area of the parking lot with a nurse who was helping him put on a mask that was attached to an oxygen tank. It was like I witnessed something I shouldn't have. She even had to help him into the car. It was obvious that he was sick and no one else was aware. I understood why no one could know Mr. Siciliano was sick because if they did, they would have mistaken it as a weakness to overthrow his incredibly high ranking.

Maybe that was the reason for Ángel's eagerness to marry me. He wanted to hurry and rush to the spot. The only question that was still left unanswered was why me? Why the fiancé of his enemy?

I hurriedly turned around to make my way back to the party, pretending like what I had just seen only existed in my imagination. When I returned, I quickly noticed how Riccardo and Ángel were both gone.

I whipped my head around to see if I could spot either of them, but to no avail. I even made sure that I combed through the guests on the dance floor, but I couldn't spot them.

"Who are you looking for?" Riccardo asked from behind me.

Every single hair on my body stood at that very moment. I could feel his body pressed up against my backside as he grabbed a lock of my hair to twirl around his finger. The stench of alcohol coated his breath, and I couldn't stand it. Riccardo was always an angry drunk, and with the little time I spent in his proximity, I could tell he reached his limit on drinking.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"What am I doing here?" he laughed darkly. He sounded absolutely psychotic as he tilted his head back, never putting an end to that horrendous laugh.