Tom and Mickey's First Sleepover: Tom's Version

Start from the beginning

"I'll just crash on the couch," she said.

"No." I felt groggy. "It's okay."

"I'll be fine."

"I don't want you to be out here alone."

"It'll take me a while to fall asleep anyway."

I looked at her blankly, a little annoyed that she would rather sleep on my lumpy couch than in my bed. She was stubborn, but that was one of the things I loved about her. We've had some deep talks about our own personal struggles and I know she has a fear of abandonment due to her family issues, and this may be a reaction to that.

I headed over to the drawers I had under my television and I pulled out extra pillows and a blanket for her. I still felt guilty about letting her sleep on the couch, but if it's what's comfortable for her than I will be supportive.

"Thanks," she said as she tossed the blanket and pillow on the couch.

I stood up straighter and brought my eyebrows together as I studied Mickey. This was out of character for her so I knew that something was wrong. I asked, "are you all right?"

 I asked, "are you all right?"

"Yeah. I'll tell you about it in the morning, all right? Go back to sleep."

"Good night," I said sleepily and leaned in to give her a silent goodnight kiss, then she wished me a good night. My eyes were half closed as I got back in my room and I shut the door.

The light under my door turned off, and I readjusted the blanket on my shoulders. I stood still for a moment, trying to think straight. Was that the best way I could have handled that? Was I really going to be the kind of man who makes his girlfriend sleep on the couch? Absolutely not.

I tiptoed over to my door and swung it open gently. I saw Mickey's silhouette bolt upright in the dark and I yawned again. I said, "come lay with me. Get in here."

"Sorry, I'm fine," she said. Mickey is a very modest and independent person. Sometimes it takes some convincing to get her to do something, otherwise she won't do it because she thinks too much about other people and not enough about herself. This was one of those times.

I sighed at her stubbornness and realized that I was going to have to bring her in the hard way. I walked over to the couch before scooping her up in my arms and I tossed her over my shoulder like a bag of potatoes. She squealed and giggled, which made me feel warm inside. I love hearing her laugh.

I carried her all the way to my room, and my blanket started to slip off my shoulder. The end of the blanket got caught around my feet, and I felt my knees buckle as I began to fall. I lurched my arms forward to get her to land on the bed before my knees crunched on the unforgiving floor.

"Are you okay?" She asked with a quick laugh after bouncing on the bed.

I didn't let the pain keep me down. I scrambled up to my feet and I lifted my chin in the air while looking down at her with my eyes and said, "never better."