"I just have to tie up a few loose ends for a case from last year," I said as I walked up to her side of the bed. I didn't want to tell her that it was a case that she was involved in, because then she would want to come with. I didn't want this day to be ruined for her. "Hopefully I won't be long."

I leaned down to steal a quick syrupy kiss goodbye and as I turned around I said, "the sexy train is leaving the station."

"Check out that caboose," she joked.

I turned and pointed at my eyes. "Eyes up here, Gregg. I'm more than just a hot piece of ass."

When I turned around again to leave, she reminded me, "don't forget about our lunch plans."

"I won't," I promised over my shoulder and left the room.

I reluctantly got ready and left for work. The first thing I did when I got to my desk was write myself a little note as a reminder to meet Mickey for lunch, where we already had reservations. I didn't even check the time again until it got dark. I was lucky to have gotten out of the center at all today. I drove home with my heart in my empty stomach.

I stopped at the florist and got a bouquet of flowers for her. I just felt so bad, I should never have even picked up the phone. I hate my job.

I finally got home and shut the door behind me. The living room was dark and empty, but I could see a soft yellow glow illuminating from the bathroom connected to my bedroom. I pulled my tie loose and said loudly, "Mick, I'm so sorry. I didn't realize it was going to run so late. I missed our entire anniversary. I swear, I'll make it up to you."

Mickey came out of my room while tying a grey robe around her waist. She fixed her hair up into a bun, and she came over to me and placed her hands gingerly over my cheeks and gave me a kiss.

She pulled away with a soft smile. She said, "it's okay, I cancelled our reservation as soon as you left. I knew you weren't going to be able to get out of there."

I sighed and looked deep into her beautiful and kind eyes. "I'm sorry."

I was tired and my muscles were aching, and I was just not in a good mood overall. I hadn't eaten all day, so I was starving too. I felt terrible for being absent for the entire day, when we were both supposed to have the day off to celebrate each other.

"The flowers are beautiful," she said. She took them from my hands and smelled them as she walked them over to the kitchen and set them on the counter.

"I'm sorry," was all I could say. She walked back up to me and gave me a kiss.

Mickey took my hands lovingly and started backing up slowly. There was a golden sparkle in her eyes that gravitated me toward her. She said, "come with me."

She turned around and let one of my hands slip from her grasp

She turned around and let one of my hands slip from her grasp. My eyebrows twitched up and I had a chomp of my peppermint gum. I wasn't going to allow the other hand let her go. I followed her and she pushed open the bathroom door. My eyes widened at the set up she had for us. She had lots of white candles lit around the bathtub, which was full of fluffy bubbles and rose petals. I even saw a stem glass of bubbly wine beside the tub.