Liam, like Louis, was a protector type. The difference was that while Louis' came off more aggressive, he was the mother hen friend that worried about everyone's safety and tried to keep them on the straight and narrow as much as he could. Louis definitely didn't want him breaking down over this so he reached over and rubbed Liam's shoulder. He had hoped no one noticed what was going on with him but clearly, his roommate did, having lived with him long enough to know that was a more uncomfortable experience for him than he let on.

"Liam, it's okay. The most important thing is that Harry's alright. It'll all die down, eventually." He hoped Liam would understand he was trying to deflect the conversation from himself but that didn't happen.

"It's not Harry I'm worried about, I know he's going to be fine. It's you. You're my best friend and now you're going through this and someone just recognised you on the street and I know you hate that and if I had just paid better attention, we could have had the upper hand on this Eleanor bitch and none of this would have happened in the first place and- fuck, Lou, I'm so sorry."

"Stop being... Weird."

"I fucking love you, idiot, I'll be as weird as I want and you're going to deal with it." Liam took off his seat belt and threw his arms around Louis, the size difference and limited space between the two making it a little tight but he did so, anyway. This wasn't the first time Louis had been hugged, of course but he suddenly realised that in the course of trying to support Harry through this, he hadn't processed his own emotions about everything. And yet, Liam could tell he was struggling. The words "I love you, too, idiot" were on his lips as well but he hesitated, choosing to hug Liam back instead.

"You've never hugged me back, before..." Ugh. Why was he smiling so hard? This tall muscular man was the literal definition of a golden retriever pup. Louis rolled his eyes and put his hand on Liam's face, pushing him away.

"Whatever. Don't make it weird." Liam sat back down and Zayn gave his arm a gentle squeeze that caused him to flush, slightly. Louis chuckled at their antics. They were really shitty at hiding how in love they were but he was beyond happy for them and didn't mind waiting for them to share their little "secret" whenever they were ready to.

"Aww! The Lilo bromance is so beautiful, brotp!!"

"Okay, Horan, we really need to have a discussion about these names-"

"Yes. They are wonderful. That was a lovely conversation, Lou, thanks for complementing the fabulous creativity of my brain- now on to more important shit; ice cream!"

They were all waiting on the queue when Harry suddenly remembered that there was a special kind of face cream he had that had finished up. Zayn arched a brow as they left, mouthing a "good luck" to Louis that he didn't understand. But then they were in the pharmacy with a basket full of the most random shit that he had to lug around and he understood completely.

"Harr, I know you're born with a diamond encrusted spoon in your mouth and all but you're killing me, here. You do not need all this crap-"

"Wh- yes, I do! It's not my fault this pharmacy has got an amazing cosmetics section! Don't blame me, blame them. Them," he said, smiling sweetly and kissing his cheek when Louis narrowed his eyes at him. Fuck. Great, now he was smiling. And Harry was smiling too, but a smile that said he knew exactly the power a little sugar had on Louis. He grumbled to himself about how he still needed to buy that hoodie but followed Harry blindly, pausing when Harry froze right in front of someone.

"Harry? Harry Styles? Shit, is it really you? It's been way too long!" As he was pulled into a hug that lasted way too long, Harry tried to force a smile the moment Louis got started glaring daggers at this dipshit man's head.