Alex sniffled, wiped a hand over his face then gave me a sad smile.  "You... you are one amazing person.  The time I've spent with you, the last six years, have been some of the best years of my life."

Trying to keep the mood light, I pinched his cheek.  "Only some of the best?"

Alex shrugged.  "You forgot the new car my parents bought me for my 21s birthday.  That probably topped everything else."  I let out a sound of protest and Alex laughed, the sound brighter and happier than I had heard since he arrived.  "But I mean it.  You really are something else."

I gave a nonchalant shrug, not wanting to admit his words had touched me.  "I'm happy for you Alex.  I really am.  You mean enough to me that I want you to be happy.  It just so happens I'm not the one who you're supposed to be happy with."

"What are you going to do?  Are you going to look for your soulmate?"  Alex's question was curious and I didn't know how to explain what was going on.

After hesitating a moment, I finally spoke.  "I... I don't know if I have one.  I haven't... haven't experienced any of the symptoms, although I am a little happy about that.  I think hearing someone's voice in my head might make me go a little loco."

Rubbing my shoulder, Alex gave me a reassuring smile.  "You don't know if you do or not yet.  It's still early and not everyone in the world has started experiencing the symptoms.  Yours may come later."

I let out an exasperated sigh.  "Damn.  I'm just a late bloomer each time.  Late to get breasts, late to start my menstrual cycle, even late to learn to ride a bike without training wheels."

Alex shook his head at my boldness, an indulgent smile on his face.  It was something he had gotten used to over the last six years and usually just gave me that smile that told me I was silly, but he was going to let it go.  "You still have no filter."

"Of course I do.  I don't always say everything on my mind.  I didn't tell Dr. Salinas to piss off like I wanted to when he hit on me my second year in college."  I stuck a hand under my chin as I though about the incident.

Alex gave me an amused look.  "No.  You just told him that I, some random stranger, was your boyfriend and I have a vicious jealous streak."

I couldn't help but laugh at the memory of how we met.  Alex and I had both taken the same anatomy class, me for my nursing license and Alex as a requirement for a physical therapy degree.  The instructor for the class, Dr. Saul Salinas, had flirted outrageously with me even though he had to be in his 40s and sported a wedding ring.  As Alex went to walk by me, I pulled him close, claiming that he was my boyfriend then proceeded to warn Dr. Salinas about Alex's temper when it came to me.  After class had ended, Alex and I got coffee, immediately hitting it off.  He became one of my closest friends and after dancing around the topic for two years, we finally started dating.  Our mutual friends from college were more than thrilled, proclaiming Alex and I were meant to be.  I had truly believed we were.  Up until this point at least. 

Standing up, I pulled Alex to his feet, giving him a hug.  "I mean it Alex.  I'm happy for you."  I headed into the kitchen, Alex following behind me as I began to prep a dish for the New Year's Eve party I was planning on attending, a fancy fruit tray or at least as fancy as I could make it.  "Want to come with me to Lily and Tony's?  They're having their annual party."

Alex shook his head.  "I would like to but know I shouldn't.  Knowing how we get, we would drink too much and have drunken sex."

I laughed at his comment.  "Yeah.  You're probably right.  Not a great idea."  Setting down the knife I had picked up to cut the fruit, I turned my attention to Alex.  "Happy New Year Alex.  Be happy, okay?"