Part 30

Damon walked downstairs very slowly and contemplatively. Elena was sitting at the table, watching Stefan preparing breakfast for her. This scene kind of made Damon nauseous, so to feel better, he automatically headed to the crystal bottle with bourbon, opened it and poured himself a full glass, giving a disgusting look to those two, who looked as if they had miraculously got back to the stage when they were beginning to date and were revoltingly in love.
'Bourbon so early in the morning?' wondered Elena, whose eyes left Stefan preparing scrambled eggs for her for a moment, as she focused her attention on Damon. 'Although, I shouldn't even be surprised anymore,' she added, turning her head back to Stefan, yet her eyes were still on Damon. 'Are you and Bonnie gonna join us for breakfast?' she asked in an innocent voice sweeter than candy floss, fiddling with a strand of her gorgeous hair.
'Why, are you in the mood for my girlfriend's blood again?' Damon snapped at her.
Elena twitched at the word 'girlfriend's'. She clearly wasn't ready to hear it yet. 'There's enough food here,' she opposed stiffly.
'No, thanks, not interested,' Damon rejected in a similar tone. He pulled a ring with a blue stone out of his pocket and spun it in his fingers. Elena wasn't paying attention to him, so he got the idea that he could tease her a little. He slowly moved to the curtains, which were closed so that no light would get in, and he gently touched the tip of the red-brown fabric.
Elena's senses sharpened, and so did Stefan's.
'Don't you dare, Damon,' he warned him strictly.
'Damon,' uttered Elena, pulling off her puppy eyes.
But Damon couldn't help himself. He swiftly drew the curtains open, throwing Elena her ring at the same time. She managed to put it on last minute. A split of a second later, and she would have started burning.
'Such silly jokes, Damon,' Stefan shook his head, but Elena was smiling.
'You returned me my ring!' she warbled and ran to Damon to hug him. 'Thank you, thank you, thank you,' she squeezed him.
Just at that moment, Bonnie got downstairs and froze as soon as she saw the moving scene.