Chapter 14 - Change - Zayn

TDODD - Chapter 14 – Change - Zayn

I walked away, my heart falling to pieces as I did so. Tears threatening to drip from my eyes, but I had cried too much. I walked past the table where Melanie and Khione were, and as I walked out the door, I heard the door swing open again behind me.

I sat down on a bench and put my head in my hands.

I didn’t know why these emotions were coursing through my veins, encompassing my thoughts and actions. I didn’t know why I felt like my world was falling apart again, previously glued together by tape and hope, now the hope stripped away and I’m left with nothing but emptiness, a black dark void in my heart with a bottomless pit.

“Zayn.” The voice belonged to Melanie, and I felt a body sit down beside me. I didn’t reply.

“What happened?” How could someone so young, so innocent know so much? Maybe she was an angel, I took my hands from my eyes and found the short human, the brown eyes behind red glasses, worry and empathy for another human behind them, her mousy brown hair unfixed and sticking up farther on the right side than the left. She wore baggy clothes, almost like she was poor, but she simply didn’t care about her outward appearance.

“Josh kissed her.”

“I’m going to kill him.” The voice came out so fast, with absolute certainty. I let out a short bark of a laugh, emotionless.

Definitely an angel.

“What’s funny about that?” Her voice was almost confused, her head needing to know absolutely everything that she couldn’t comprehend, the words seeming rhetorical but completely serious.

When I didn’t answer, she stood up. I didn’t stop her.

I sat out there, thinking about everything and nothing at all. The penguin, the boys, El, then the moment a tear leaked from my eye, a fallen warrior when I attempted to think nothing at all, let my mind go blank, like I was asleep. Or dead. Harder than you would think.

Just as I started thinking about the Pepsi commercial I saw last, it seemed like everything reminded me of the boys these days, the door opened but I didn’t see anyone walk to their car. I felt a body sit next to me, and this time it wasn’t Melanie.

“Hey.” Eleanor’s voice was soft, quiet, barely a whisper, just a breath with tongue.

I looked over at her, my expression blank.

“I didn’t kiss him back. I didn’t know he was going to kiss me.”

“It’s none of my business anyway.” I had no rule over who she kissed. I wasn’t her boyfriend.

“But you care.” I didn’t argue with her about that one. She knew I cared for her, beyond the realm of friends. She as well as I knew how extremely wrong that was.

“I-“ I looked over at her, not sure what to say as I looked into her brown eyes.

“You…?”

“I’m sorry.” I whispered my voice guilt filled and deep.

“What are you sorry for?” She whispered.

“Louis,” her reaction was immediate, the spark in her eyes at the mention of his name.

“Me. The kiss. Everything.” I said, looking for her in contentment and guilt.

“Don’t apologize for yourself, you are the only thing that has happened to me since they died. And don’t apologize for the kiss.”

She stood up, pacing back and forth in front of me. I looked at my hands.

“Louis.” I said, my breath hitching.

“Louis…” She sighed. “I miss Louis. But I don’t blame you for his death. It wasn’t murder, that guilt in your eyes shows me that you feel guilty about something out of your control.”

“I could have saved him.”

“God you’re so stubborn Zayn.”

I looked up at her, not sure what to say.

I don’t know why, what could possibly have gone through her mind in that very moment. Maybe I never will. It was the transition, the turning point in everything. The action that changed the course of history.

She kissed me.

_______________

SORRY ITS SUPER SHORT!!! I wrote this at school in 2nd period when I was supposed to be working on a project. Its short, but I had to end it here. SORRY!!! Lots of drama though.

Shoutout and dedication goes to Gabby, because Im really sorry...