EPILOGUE

EPILOGUE

      Kate stepped on the scale. Nick came around behind her and slipped his arms around her waist. 

      “So?”

      She sighed. “Only twelve pounds.”

      She stepped off the scale. “Who knew it would be this hard to gain weight. First time in my life I can eat anything I want guilt free and my stomach rejects it.”

      Nick laughed. “You’ll be fine. I’ll keep running to the store for more chocolate peanut crunch.”

      “Ugh no!”

      He rolled his eyes. “Don’t tell me, new craving.” 

      She nodded. “Peanut butter and cucumber sandwiches. Ooh and maybe some pickles to go with it.”

      He wrinkled his nose. 

      She patted her belly, proud of the bulge that had finally started to show. “Don’t blame me, it’s your daughter in here that’s so demanding. I can tell, she’ll be stubborn like her daddy.” 

      “Daddy, Kate come look.”

      Kate smiled fondly at Lucas. He was three years old now and coming into his own. He marched into his room.

      Kate laughed. Nick groaned. Lucas had put pink crayon all over one side of the room in random scrawlings.

      “I made a drawing for my baby sister. Look, I drew her a princess on the wall. Emma, my friend at school said she likes princesses and I should make my sister a princess. Kate, will my sister be a princess?”

      Kate bent down and held her arms out to Lucas. He came and hugged her. “That was very sweet of you Lucas. I appreciate you sharing your room with your sister. But how about instead of princesses, we let her be an explorer, or a doctor or a…”

      “…an asstoonot”

      “…or an astronaut” 

      “A pink asstoonot?”

      “That sounds great Lucas.”

      “I’ll go draw it. She can take my rocket ship. I’ll tell her I need some more stars for my room.”

      Nick reached out to grab Lucas but he slipped out of his hands. Kate giggled. “You’re already going to have to repaint the wall, let him have some fun.”

      He shook his head at her. “I can see that I’ll have to be the disciplinary in the house.”

      They watched Lucas draw what he thought was a pink ‘asstoonot’ on the wall. “Have you heard from Suzanne?”

      Nick nodded. “I just got an email from her this morning. She is fine with the custody arrangement. We’ll have Lucas during the school year and she gets him on the holidays. She plans to divide her time between New York and Sudaan so she won’t have to take Lucas there with her.”

      Kate smiled. Everything was just as it should be. 

      “How’s Sid doing?”

      “She’s back to school. And believe it or not, this many months of hospital food plus the time in coma, she’s lost thirty pounds. And she ditched that selfish little boy she had her heart set on. I think she’ll be just fine.”

      He hugged her. “I’m glad. You know, I had my doubts about us being able to work together but I think it’s worked out so far.”

      Kate nodded. “Yes, much to my surprise. But NIH loved the idea of having you as part of the whole program.”

      “Speaking of which, I need to talk to you about that patient you referred to me…”

      She felt a twinge in her belly and her hand flew to her stomach. An involuntary cry came from her lips.

      “What’s wrong Kate?”

      She felt it again. Her shoulders relaxed. “I think I just felt the baby kick.”

      He put his hand on her belly. She felt it again. His eyes widened. “Oh my god, she really is in there.” His eyes shone.

      Kate smiled, “what did you think, the ultrasound machine was lying.”

      He shook his head. “It’s just so amazing. We’re going to be parents.” He looked at Lucas. “Again.” 

      He turned her so he could kiss her softly. “Thank you Kate. Thank you for being my wife and sharing this wonderful life with me.”

      Tears of joy filled her eyes. “We created this together Nick, and thank you, for saving me from myself.”

   <THE END>