CHAPTER TWELVE

CHAPTER TWELVE

Kate looked at her reflection in the mirror. It was barely dusk. Her lips were stained with the half bottle of red wine she’d had last night. She didn’t have any toiletries. She opened Nick’s medicine cabinet. There were vitamins and male hair products. She eyed his toothbrush then picked it up and put some toothpaste on it. She scrubbed her teeth and used his mouthwash to rinse out her mouth. 

She washed her face and reconsidered her reflection. She still looked awful. Tears stung her eyes. This is not how she wanted Nick to see her. What does it matter anyway?

She walked out of the bathroom. Lucas was up and Nick was with him on the floor of the living room. Lucas giggled as Nick made faces at him. Kate’s heart filled with warmth. 

“I see you’ve made friends.”

Nick looked up and smiled at her. “I can’t believe I made this little boy.”

      Kate nodded, her throat closing. “You have no idea how lucky you are Nick. Lucas is a gift, one that I hope you will use this opportunity to appreciate.” She shifted on her feet. “Well, I best be going.”

      He stood up and came to her. He put his arms around her waist. “Kate, thank you, for what you did for me.” 

      She nodded, trying to blink back tears. He kissed her. She retreated. “I am a mess.”

      He shook his head. “Kate, you have never been more beautiful than now. Please believe me.” He looked at her pleadingly, his eyes a soft green. Kate’s melted. She looked down, unwilling to see what her heart was telling her was in his eyes.  

      “I love you Kate.”

      She looked up, her eyes widening. “But you said…you…um…the no strings….you don’t do…..what about…” Great. Just when I need my words, the stammer comes back. 

      He put a finger on her lips. “I know what I said Kate. But that’s how I felt before I had you. And before I met Lucas. I want you in my life Kate. I want your love, I want to see you every morning, just like you are now.”

      She laughed mirthlessly. “I am a mess.”

      “You are beautiful. I like you natural, when I can see the real you.”

      She shook her head. “You have no idea what you’re saying Nick.” Her stomach twisted and untwisted itself in a thousand knots. These were the words she had fantasized hearing from Nick. These were the words she’d always wanted. But she couldn’t keep living in a fantasy, wishing and hoping for things that wouldn’t come. It was time to start living in the real world.

      “Come here.”

      She lead him to the bedroom, away from Lucas’s eyes. The room was bathed in morning light. Trembling hands clasped the hem of her shirt and pulled it up. With shaking legs, she wriggled out of her pants and underwear. She squeezed her eyes shut. “This is me Nick. This is the real me.” 

      She felt him cup her face. “Look at me Kate.”  She shook her head. She didn’t want to see it in his eyes. She didn’t want to see the disappointment, the barely concealed disgust. She didn’t want to see in his eyes what she saw in the mirror every day. 

      He pressed against her. Her eyes few open. His eyes were dark pools, rimmed by a smoldering green. His erection pressed hard against her. “You are so damm beautiful. I’m more turned on now than I’ve ever been in my life. I can’t believe you’ve been hiding this body from me all this time.”