•C h a p t e r T h i r t y - T w o•

Start from the beginning

Avery caught it, eyeing my laptop. But in her excitement, she ignored it.

It was a peaceful Sunday morning, which was now no longer peaceful with Avery knocking down my door. I'd tried to focus on my studying — which I'd failed at — since my mom was taking us all to a horseback riding arena. She wanted to meet with some old friends of hers and for some reason it included Jackson and I.

"I just met the cutest guy," she squealed, plopping down on my bed next to me, beaming.

"You meet a cute guy all the time," I said, a knowing smile spread over my mouth.

"Okay but he's different," she giggled. "I went to school to do that stupid group project since no one could meet on a weekday."

Avery rolled her eyes and I muffled my laugh.

"I went to get coffee, as one does, and he was working there," she shook my arm vigorously, grinning from ear to ear. "He's the barista there. He's got really pretty blonde hair, and bright blue eyes..."

"You sound like you're describing Sam," I choked, laughing.

"No, not Sam," her nose crinkled as she giggled. "I'm going there every Sunday now."

"Sure Avery, you do that," I sat back on my bed, suppressing another laugh. She still held that dreamy, lovestruck smile on her face.

"By the way, aren't you going to the riding Arena today — what's it called like High Country Equestrian Centre?" she took off her backpack, setting it on the floor.

"Unfortunately I am, even though I haven't even been on a horse for like ten years," I rolled my eyes.

"Guess what?" a slow mischievous smirk spread over Avery's lips. My eyebrow cocked up expectantly. "Liam and Sam are going too, guess those friends your mom is meeting with is Liam's mom."

"How do you know that?" I gave her a blank stare.

"Sam told me," she shrugged.

My mouth hung open, "Since when were you and Sam friends?"

"Ummm... since we went to the beach and ate a corn dog and went surfing," she let out an awkward laugh.

"You didn't tell me you became friends with Liam's best friend!" I was appalled. I glanced around, grabbing my pillow — the only thing I could find near me — and whacking Avery's side with it.

"Hey! Why do you care so much?" she cackled, falling over onto me bed from the force of my pillow. She gasped, sitting straight up with wide eyes. The grin she held on her face was terrifying, "You have a crush on Liam."

"N-no! I don't," I glared at her, my eyes shooting daggers.

Avery eyed my laptop next to me and before I could react, she swiped it, taking it into her hands.

"Avery no—" I started, but it was too late. She opened up my laptop, her eyes darting across the screen. She glanced back up at me with a toothy grin.

"You wanna learn how to surf?" she cackled, her eyes twinkling. "Is it for Liam?"

I groaned, collapsing onto the bed, shielding my burning face with my hands.

"Thalia... do you like Liam?" Avery cackle dissipated and a knowing smile replaced it.

Did I like Liam?

No one had ever made me feel the way Liam did. He could make my stomach perform backflips and swarm with butterflies effortlessly. His dark hair and dark eyes sent me spiralling. Even though we argued a lot, I still felt the most comfortable around him.