Chapter Twenty-Nine

Start from the beginning

Kaanan practically impaled him with his own furniture.

Blood filled his mouth and dribbled down his chin. He locked eyes with the unrecognizable killer in front of him. "The demons will enjoy your brutality."

Kaanan shook away the mumblings of his father that only sought to distract him.

"Enough talking! Enough games!"

The growl he produced reverberated even in his spacious office and shook the walls. Now Kaanan had to act fast since someone would be coming to investigate the noise.

He fanned out his wings, then slammed them down on the ground. It propelled him up and onto the desk as he wickedly gleamed down at the pathetic excuse for a King.

Kill. Kill him. He'd heard these voices many times before by now.

For once he acted on them and it pleased them so.

"Goodbye, father."

The sword raised behind him and he swung true, severing the head of the man trapped below. Awestruck that his son had carried out the act, a shocked expression remained frozen on the face that fell to the ground with a hefty thud.

The body, still trapped by the desk, slumped forward slightly and blood spew from the open wound for a few moments before it drained. All Kaanan could think about was how he'd have to change before facing Ele... The blood would terrify her. He wondered if the heartless thought made him a monster- Something he already knew the answer to.

When his mother's screams penetrated his ears, it only confirmed what he knew about his true nature. Still, it pained him to hear her so grief-stricken over a monster greater than any.

"Don't waste your tears." He dropped the sword at his feet. No sense in hiding the fact it was him. Everyone would soon come to know the truth, including his innocent faenix.

For good measure, he bent down to rip into his father's chest cavity and yank out his un-beating heart. Customarily, the heart of the previous King was saved for rituals to crown the next King, but he had voices in his head telling him to devour it. And that he did, right in front of his gaping mother, who trembled in the arms of his uncle.

Behind them...

With blood clouding his vision, he hadn't noticed her piercing stare until now. Half into feasting upon the heart of his father to absorb its power, he heard her gasp and it stilled him. The bloody entrails fell from his hands and he wiped away the blood on his face to no avail- Too much coated him that he'd need a proper wash.

He wished to erase this sight from her memory. Perhaps he could find a mage to do just that and simultaneously restore her wings once he fought for them back. Would it be much of a fight against the leader of the satyroids? Not much was known of the man, only that he sent his sons to do his bidding.

When his face darkened while thinking of the next coward he had to eradicate, Charles misinterpreted and went to shield Ele in case he attacked. He gripped her wrist and pulled the frail being behind him.

Kaanan jumped off the desk and absorbed his wings into his back so they no longer terrified Ele.

"Don't ever touch her again if you value your working hands." He knew hands to be of importance to healers, so he directed his threat towards something that would land properly.

Everyone else dematerialized as he tunnel visioned her pure form. It called for him.

Still, Charles foolishly challenged him to protect the girl. "Roman claimed her. You won't be able to change that!"