22: The Demonic Nurse

"A-Zhan!"

Wei Wuxian ran to the bedside to check on his husband. "Oh, darn, he's asleep. Xiangxiang, how was he?"

"He was a bit fidgety at first, Master. Think it's because you left. But then, Zewu-Jun came in with Doctor Lan and after the medicine, he fell asleep."

"Good," Wei Wuxian said, gently stroking the frizzled hair. As his fingers slides through the knots, straightening the once smooth hair, he continued. "Xiangxiang, gege..."

Xiangxiang smiled a smile that, for once, looked truly benevolent. "Zewu-Jun came right after he received your butterfly letter. He brought the doctor. Neither said anything against me. The doctor checked on Hanguang-Jun and tried to apply some ointment on his wounds. Hanguang-Jun wouldn't let him! Zewu-Jun talked to Hanguang-Jun, while the doctor instructed me. Of course, Hanguang-Jun wouldn't let me, either. So I resorted to asking the doctor to put him to sleep. The doctor gave a sleeping potion, saying it was to let him rest. While he slept, I treated the wounds on his hands and face with warm water and the doctor's gel," Xiao Xiang explained. Then, to Wei Wuxian's amusement, she crimsoned deeper than her scarlet robes and gazed at the floor, her fingers twisting her clothes. "But... Master... Forgive me, but I couldn't treat the other wounds."

"Oh? But why not?" Wei Wuxian asked with a cocked eyebrow.

"Master..." Xiangxiang giggled. "If it was any other man, I wouldn't mind at all, you know me. But I can't treat Second Master Lan beyond this: he's a married man! Not just any married man, he's Master's husband!"

Now it was Wei Wuxian's turn to flush red. "Xiangxiang... you're becoming naughtier, you know that?" He grinned, while he turned his eyes to his sleeping husband. The sleeping beauty. Not so much of a beauty with all the scars but will be once he treated him. Right, I should be the nurse. I'm his partner, Wei Wuxian thought, grinning to himself in silent joy.

"Xiangxiang, thank you, ever so much."

"Master, this is nothing!" Xiangxiang said, round-eyed.

"This means my life. So, thank you."

Xiangxiang beamed. Being the Scarlet Seductress, never having felt such true and tender affection — in fact, never having felt anything purer than loyalty — she was always amazed by Master's divine affection. Such a strong aura of love and doting: was something Xiao Xiang would probably never understand. Nevertheless, the fact that her friend and Master felt such exquisite devotion was enough to keep her happy.

"Master, I'll take my leave then?" They needed all the time alone they could get, she thought, grinning.

"Mn. Xiangxiang, is there anything I can do?"

"MASTER! Please no! Nothing at all! I'm glad to have been of help!" Xiangxiang shouted, bewilderment flooding her expression. "I'll leave, Master," and without waiting for his reply, she quickly left.

Wei Wuxian chuckled and shook his head. This girl... hates me gifting anything. She keeps running away! Wei Wuxian, what happened to your once charismatic and irresistible self? Wei Wuxian wondered. This thought was immediately followed by a beaming glance at his husband. His wounded darling had hugged the lotus-marked pillow to sleep. The onlooker's heart melted, as he lightly rubbed the jade cheek. "See, I've lost my touch! All because of you!" He whispered, so as not to wake the other up.

Never would he have expected to suddenly pulled down and rolled over onto the bed.

"What's because of me?"

"LAN ZHAN!"

"A-Ying?"

"A-Zhan, let go! Do you even see all that I'm carrying on my back?"