12: Love Despite A Broken Promise

The jungle was silent. The only things disturbing its peace were the inaudible murmurs from far away, deep into the jungle. A couple of owls were fast asleep, comfortable in their lush green environment, when a puff of red smoke exploded right in front of the tree they were on. Screeching in terror, the two flapped away.

The puff of red smoke rapidly reduced to make visible an anxious group of four. Three great cultivators and a demoness stood in a ring, straining their ears to listen to the voices. But the sounds were from a few hundred metres away into the middle of the woods — a distance which their hearing couldn't reach. Turning to the demoness, Lan Wangji spoke first.

"Take us to him."

"Oh no no no, you three are staying here. I will go and slit that bastard's throat, then you three may come."

"But–!" Jiang Cheng exclaimed.

"Sandu Shengshou, forgive me, but I just love slitting the throats of these rascals," the Scarlet Seductress grinned, as evilly as her master, before drifting away into the woods.

"Let's follow her!"

The three moved to run, but were tossed back by something. The trio looked down. A shawl coloured dark crimson, as dark as blood, was wrapped around the three, tying them together. Somehow, they couldn't even tear it apart.

"It must be a trick of hers. Wangji, what if she's lying?"

"She's not. She was there back then, too."

Jiang Cheng nodded. "Yes, Xichen, remember the woman spirit I told you that got rid of Wen Chao? That's her."

"Well then, we might as well wait," Xichen said, holding the others' arms to calm them down.

"I can't believe I can't even get out of some demon's scarf!" The Jiang Sect's Leader raged.

Xichen chuckled. "Wanyin, this isn't any demon. It's Wuxian-di's demon."

"Right, and A-Xian is indeed the best to raise a demon this powerful! Even you can't get out of it, Lan Wangji!" Jiang Wanyin almost laughed at the addressee: but the situation wouldn't call for humour. Lan Wangji just stared into the thicket, silent.

Meanwhile, deeper in the woods, in a wide open clearing, a sword swung madly around its bearer, slashing with all its might at the strings of black smoke circling it. The Yiling Patriarch was driving the swordsman mad. While he waved his sword furiously at the dark ghouls in front of him, around ten more sneaked up from behind and grabbed the man by his neck and flailing legs. The moment he was lifted off the ground, the Scarlet Seductress appeared.

She dug the longest nail on her index finger into the man's chest, making him shriek in pain. While the man screamed, running chills down the spines of three listeners elsewhere, the demoness glanced at her master.

Wei Wuxian just waved his hand. "Finish him off. Just another minion."

"Sure."

Up went the nail, easily ripping the garments open, teasing the man's chest, sliding up along his neck; the finger cocked at the tip of his chin, sharply digging into his skin. And then— Slit!

Jiang Wanyin and Lan Xichen had never shivered for anything before, but hearing the sounds of one man's desperate wails suddenly choked by a ringing 'slit' sound...

Lan Wangji just listened, only wondering what could make his precious angel turn into such a devil.

Back in the clearing, a man in black sat on a rock, stroking the head of a lady in red by his feet.