Romeo and Alpha

In the months following your mission on Hesse, you only got better and better at your job. You learned the ins and outs of Philian nightlife, and you were proud to say you were getting more used to jobs on foreign planets. Mostly, you were getting more used to Lafayette and his division of soldiers. In between missions, you had time to lay low at headquarters, and the soldiers quickly became brothers to you.

As all siblings like to do, the soldiers would do their best to pull pranks and tease you when the occasion occurred. The growing relationship–you might even call it friendship–with the man who you had stolen from just a few months ago didn't go unseen by the men in Lafayette's division.

"We've compiled the information needed for your mission with Alpha," Hamilton says, sliding a tablet across Lafayette's desk for him to read.

Alpha–the squadron had affectionately given you the codename; named for the capital, Alpha Cersei, of the tiny planet you had grown up on. You wore the name with pride.

"Anything important I should know?" Lafayette asks as he begins scrolling through the information.

Hamilton coughs softy and nudges Laurens, who in turn nudges Mulligan. Mulligan shoots the other two men a dirty look, but nonetheless steps forward: "Well, the thing is... We thought it would be best, well... well why don't you tell him, Hamilton?"

"Me? I put this together!"

"That's why you should be the one to tell him!"

Lafayette sets the tablet down rather unceremoniously. "Would one of you just spit it out?"

A beat of silence.

"We... well, Hamilton decided that a couple of newlyweds would be a rather convincing cover for this particular mission," Laurens finally says.

"Oh so now it was my idea, huh?" Hamilton says with irritation. "It was our idea when you thought it was funny."

Lafayette looks between the three men incredulously before looking back down at the tablet to read further into the details. "You didn't seriously..."

"If it makes you feel any better," Hercules says (and he says it in a way that makes Lafayette think that the next thing he's about to say won't make him feel better at all), "we made sure to book you and Alpha the honeymoon suite. The reviews are great. Supposed to be very ro-man-tic."

Hamilton and Laurens fail to hide their snickering, but Lafayette silences the two of them with a sharp look. He rests his forehead in his hand when the information he's reading on the tablet confirms everything his soldiers told him.

"This is the last time I put any of you in charge of mission details," Lafayette mutters.

"That's not fair, we gave you a cool codename," Laurens points out.

Hamilton's eyes light up and he nods in agreement. "We did! Do you want to hear it?"

"Do I?"

"You're Romeo," Hercules says, and the three of them grin widely like it's the cleverest thing they've ever come up with.

"Romeo?" You push open the door and take a seat in one of the chairs in front of Lafayette's desk that you've grown accustomed to. You size Lafayette up with a look, noting how flustered he seems. "Are you a fan of Shakespeare, or somethin'?"

"Actu—" Laurens starts, but Lafayette silences him with a glare.

"Yes. Love Shakespeare. Laurens, Mulligan, and Hamilton were just about to leave." His words are clipped and the three soldiers seem to understand him, quickly filing out the door in a fit of laughter, but not before muttering something about leaving the two of you alone together.