Mingyu part 3

Tzuyu became accustomed to Mingyu's existence.

In fact, he became something of a habit.

Every Friday, he would visit her bookstore, browse through the books, drink the tea she personally prepared, and eat the pastries she had made. They very rarely conversed. Much of the time, their gazes would inadvertently cross. He would stare at her, and her perennially tranquil gaze would sweep across him.

Everything was peaceful and perfect. The quiet and cosy bookstore she had personally decorated, the pot of emerald green orchids she had bought, the delicate fragrance of the tea leaves she measured out... Mingyu sometimes felt that he should thank Tzuyu for providing him with such a peaceful and quiet place to be. After a busy day at work, he was only able to fully relax when he was at this place. Moreover, whenever he sat on his usual sofa and closed his eyes, the words that she had uttered that day would float to the forefront of his mind.

Shut your eyes, and the entire world will quieten down.

There were also others pursuing Tzuyu. In these past few days, fresh flowers that someone had sent would always be on the counter after work. The bookstore assistants were not sure of the intention behind the flowers, and would quietly discuss the possibilities whenever Tzuyu was not around.

"It's a white collar worker who works in the office building opposite," they commented.

"Our boss is still attractive and charismatic."

Mingyu shot a look at the flowers-huh, they were just the standard red roses.

The moment Tzuyu smelled the flowers, she would quietly exhort the bookstore assistants to take them away. After a few weeks, the flowers stopped coming. While the bookstore assistants were somewhat disappointed, Tzuyu carried on with her usual quiet way of life. Mingyu did not make any comment, but his mood lifted immeasurably.

Falling deeper and deeper... it's just that some people never realise it, and simply let things slide.

This year, Qing Ming* happened to fall on a Friday. Early in the morning, the secretary softly asked Mingyu, "President Kim, the fresh flowers and offerings have already been prepared. Will you be going to the cemetery at noon, as usual?"

* (Qing Ming) - also known as the Pure Brightness Festival or Tomb Sweeping Day. Usually occurs in early April. During this time, the Chinese visit the graves of their departed relatives and loved ones to pay their respects, offer sacrifices and literally sweep the tombs (clean them).

After a startled moment, Mingyu nodded.

Months pass, and years go by. Jisoo had already been dead for five years, and they had parted twelve years ago.

Mingyu sat alone at the grave until late.

The picture on the tombstone had been taken when Jisoo had returned to Lin City. In it, she looked capable as well as bright and pretty, but she looked so different from the time when they had been in love.

In truth, he could not clearly remember what she had been like when they were lovers. He could only remember feelings and emotions: gentleness, ardour, softness, infatuation. What was clearest to him was that their relationship caused his younger self to feel as if he were perpetually on fire. It was too fierce, too sweet, as if an entire lifetime of affection were consumed in that moment.

When the moon had risen above the tree branches, he finally got up from his perch in front of the grave, draped his coat over his shoulders and followed the dark path out of the cemetery. At that moment, his handphone chimed with reminders of two scheduled events.