chapter 23: hearts do heal

Start from the beginning

Sorn snorts. “I'm sure you know how it's like to like someone, eonni. You're doing pretty well right now. I'm updated with your current draft, you know. Ah, this budding romance between our main character and her boss is really my cup of tea. I live vicariously through your characters, eonni, so please give them a happy ending.”

I sigh, looking up at the ceiling. I really did that. I'm writing a romance between one of my main characters and her boss. I'm crazy. I'm insane.

When I meet up with Haneul that afternoon and he reads my updated drafts, I watch his expression as his eyes scan the words I've written, the way his lips curve into this small but genuine closed mouth smile, the way his brows would almost knit together. And again, I'm thinking I'm crazy. I've really gone insane.

Cha Hyunjin taps my shoulder and I almost jump. My heart is beating fast as if I've gotten caught doing something I shouldn't be. “Seunghee-ya, do you have a minute?” He asks.

I look at Haneul and his eyes go to mine from the draft. “Yeah, why?” I ask Hyunjin, following him to his desk.

This time though, he talked about work and as long as we don't open up the past, Hyunjin and I are a great team.

* * *

SEUNGYEON

“What if somebody took a picture of Hwiyoung and I?” I ask Yujin worriedly the next day. “I'm crazy. I shouldn't have gone there. I'm ashamed. I mean, I don't want to drag his name down with my chaos. I won't really be able to face his mom next time.”

Yujin stares at me. “Woah, I haven't seen you this bothered about Hwiyoung in so long.”

“It's not like that. It's just that—”

Yeeun comes out of her room and says, “Woah! Eonni, you met Hwiyoung again?”

“Were you eavesdropping?”

“No, I was opening my door when I heard you. Since when were you meeting with Hwiyoung again?” She asks, sitting next to me and grabbing snacks from the table.

I sigh. “Don't you read articles?”

“I've been too occupied with real life and I don't care what other people say about you that much since I know you.”

That's actually kinda sweet. “I went to at Hwiyoung's mom's restaurant yesterday.”

Yeeun's eyes widen. “Are you crazy, eonni? Do you still like him after all this time?”

“NO!” I reply quickly. “Not really! Why do you guys keep assuming that? Anyway, that's not the problem. He turned out to be there and he sat with me and asked everyone else to leave the restaurant. Can he even do that? I swear to God, he's always been kinda reckless with his image.”

Yeeun stares at me. “But eonni, you're still worried about him.”

“That's what I'm saying.” Yujin says.

I sigh, looking at them both. “Ah, seriously, you two don't see the point. I'm leaving.” I say, getting up.

“Are you meeting up with him?” Yeeun asks.

I grab a pillow from the couch and throw it towards her. She giggles. “I'm going to work!”

“Why are you leaving me?” Yujin asks, following me.