X (XXXIII). Balam's Lesson 📚

Start from the beginning

"What I wanna know is if those critters satisfy my discerning palate." Said Dosanko fanning herself.

"Well, that may be as you think, but I don't see it that way." Said Yanna nervously, "I would say that I would want to talk with them."

"I would tell them not to get at my bad side, but I wouldn't eat them as long as that's good between us." Said Kaminari.

Iruma recalled the lyrics of the school anthem-"Humans only exist to be our food" that is. He was truly terrified, so much that his soul left his body.

"Excuse me, sir." Addressed Isabelle, "As it is said that humans are filled with desires-either good or bad, do you think that defines humans being a sustenance for our kind?"

"Hm, you have that right, young lady." Nodded Shichiro as he and Clara poked the dummy, "You probably took the words right out of my mouth."

"So then, what would you do if you came across a human?" Asked Acheron, Kaminari, and Haruno by coincidental sync.

"Who, me?" Asked Shichiro.

He wordlessly turned to the dummy, leaving suspense around the room.

"Why'd you stop talking?" Said a student.

"He's totally experimenting in his mind right now." Said another.

"You'd think he'd really eat them?" Asked Haruno.

"Misguided souls, please remain silent." Requested Lavande.

"Well, if I were to encounter a human... I'd love to ask them how they managed to survive among us." Answered Shichiro, "Imaginary beasts are ancient, and the fact that they managed to survived this long must mean that they live in a mostly peaceful environment. However, the Netherworld's ecosystem is unforgiving. That's why we demons, in order to acquire more evolutionary power, developed our wings. In the long race for survival, wings are essential tools. Even without horns, you can escape safely... As long as you have... Huh?"

While he was saying that, Shichiro was touching the backs of Ryūko and Iruma, finding something strange. He then flung both twins onto his shoulder before he fled from the class.

Shichiro ran to the Faculty Room and barged in on a rush.

"Pardon me! Anyone?!" He yelled.

"What's the matter, Professor Balam?" Asked Robin.

"There's an emergency! These two kids have no wings!" Said Shichiro.

"Sorry, they what?!" Asked Momonoki.

"Oh, come on." Reassured Robin, as optimistic as ever, "What do you mean? Of course they have wings!"

"I'm sure they're just tucked inside their bodies." Said Momonoki as Iruma tried to run while his sister was completely frozen.

"They don't even have wing bases!" Added the Imaginary Beasts instructor.

"They don't?!" Repeated Momonoki and Robin.

"You can tell by touching them." Said Shichiro as he got Ryūko and Iruma restrained.

"Hey, Ryūko, Iruma, let me see your backs." Requested Robin.

'Now what?' Panicked Iruma, 'They're going to find out we're human!'

"Take this off!" Said Shichiro.

"Right!" Agreed Robin, "Iruma's first!"

That said, Shichiro removed Iruma's blazer and lifted the back of his dress shirt. The instructors took a look at his back, only to discover something rather... normal to them.