07: Reeking Rancid ~♪

Start from the beginning

Darn it.

You had hoped that the knight had forgotten about that little detail.

"What?! What am I supposed to do with him?!" In order to get out of this unfortunate circumstance, you had been forced to turn on the theatrics. There was no way you were going to spend even another second with Barbatos for at least a few days. Yes, you needed to get close to your old friend again in order to accomplish your ultimate goal, but surely after what happened earlier with him, you thought it might be best to hold it off for a bit.

"C'mon... I know I caused you guys a lot of trouble back there, but I really can't help. I wish I could, but I can't..." You averted your eyes, the blondie still tightly grasping you wrist to prevent you from running away. "I- I'm in a town that I don't know, I was terribly injured from falling off a cliff, and the only person I remember hates my guts. Oh! And to add onto that, I'll be sleeping under a tree tonight."

You paused and breathed a sigh of despair, faking a tear to appear more convincing. "I'm just- really confused... so I'm sorry, but I can't help."

Of course, all of what you said was true, but it didn't affect you nearly as much as you were pretending it to.

"You won't be sleeping outside. Remember? I was assigned to bring you to where you will be staying."

That important aspect having completely slipped your mind before, you bounced up. "Ah that's right! You did mention something like that earlier." You beamed a pearly smile to express your gratitude. "I'll be able to sleep peacefully because of you. Thanks!"

Strangely, Aether remained silent for a few seconds.

"Well..." The traveller scratched his head and tilted his eyes to the ground, suddenly looking very uncomfortable. "Don't thank me too soon..."

You stared at him blankly.

"Let's say I got a bit side-tracked..." He forced a chuckle and side-eyed to the bard. "I uh... apologize in advance."

You blinked.

"You're saying I don't have a place to spend the night?" All hopes crushed, you glared at the knight with disappointed eyes.

"Well..."

"Wait... Paimon is confused." The talking fairy furrowed her brow and turned towards her companion. "I thought you-"

Suddenly, the blonde boy slammed his free hand over Paimon's face, blocking her voice from saying anything unnecessary.

"It's true that I haven't made any reservations for you anywhere." Aether frantically piped up, still silencing his pixie friend. "But... I do know of somewhere you can stay. If you'll allow me, I'll take you there."

Once again, your face lit up, already fantasizing about how comfortable your head will feel resting on a chilled, fluffy pillow. "Please do!"

With that, the crowd of four began their nightly stroll. Well... more like nightly drag, as Aether was still forced to carry the drunken Venti over his back.

You struggled to hold back laughter at the sight of the ever-so almighty Barbatos acting as lowly as a rat. Low enough, in fact, to be titled and acknowledged as one of the prime drunkards of Mondstadt.