10. Runaway*

I stare down at the worn, brown boots. They stand closely together, both of them decorated with their own unique creases and scuff marks. Multiple holes drill into the soles, revealing sock-covered feet. I want nothing more for the owner to turn around and go away.

"Country?" Harry asks, his voice deeper than usual. I harshly rub at my eyes, willing the evidence of tears to disappear. "Are you crying?" His soft tone is a big contrast to his usual dark demeanor. This is the first time he's said something to me without being teasing or hurtful.

When I don't answer a hand wraps around my wrist, gently pulling my hand from my face. I snatch it back before it can fully reveal the emotional toll that has been placed on me. I hate when people see me cry, it makes me feel weak, and pathetic.

"What's wrong?" he asks, refraining from touching me again. I don't know whether to be grateful for the distance or regretful of the fact that he's here to witness my breakdown.

I give in and look up, conscious of my puffy eyes and tear-streaked face. Harry looks down at me with an expression mixed with concern and confusion. His eyebrows are furrowed together, light green eyes focused on my face. I don't like the way he's looking at me, like I'm some kind of broken doll.

"I don't want your pity," I tell him, ignoring the way my voice cracks at the end. He gives me a small, almost unnoticeable smile as he steps forward.

"Well, then I guess you're stuck with my company," he says, sitting down beside me. He must know that I'm not comfortable being close to him, because he left about a foot of space between us.

I drop my head down and let my hair fall around my face, forming a dark curtain between Harry and I. I use the barrier to my advantage and bury my face in my hands, muffling the sobs that have not yet left my body. I feel awkward sitting here in the silence of the woods, the only sound being the gasps and whimpers falling from my lips.

Eventually the flow of tears dwindle down to a steady stream, and then they stop altogether. I wipe my eyes one last time and look over at Harry to see that he's watching me, remaining completely silent. I look away awkwardly.

"Are you just going to sit there?" I ask after awhile.

He sighs. "I was planning on it, yeah."

"Aren't you bored?" I question further.

"This beats shoveling horse shit," he admits.

"And here I thought you followed me out here to kill me," I joke in an attempt to lighten the mood.

He smiles and plays along. "Maybe so. But now you've gone and cried and ruined everything."

I let out a shaky laugh, finally ridding myself of the physical stress that comes with being upset. My breathing has almost returned to normal, and I'm glad. I'm surprised I haven't had an asthma attack yet if I'm being honest. I guess I got lucky, because I wouldn't have been able to handle it with everything else that has happened today.

"Seriously though, are you okay?" Harry asks, tilting his head to the side.

No, I'm a fucking mess.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I lie, shrugging lazily.

"You don't look like it."

"Then stop looking," I defend.

Harry suddenly stands up, causing me to jump. "You know what, I don't even know why I fucking try," he says through gritted teeth. He starts walking away, and I find myself trying to think of something to say that will make him stay. Now that I've gotten used to his presence, I don't want him to leave.