Chapters 9-10

Chapter 9

Cold and Damp Dusk: Keep Afoot the Path

Dumago commandeered the torch that was posted near the entrance of the tunnel. They were deep into the hole in the ground now, and the heat of the old woman’s cottage became distant. It was cold beneath the city. When they passed further still through the corridor, the torches upon the walls slowly ignited to a flicker and then a full blaze. There was no going back, only forward to whatever lay ahead. All of them had been charged with a journey that would mitigate the war. The protectors of the young man who carried the serum were to deliver him to the Oracle in the far reaches of the north. It was a task that was daunting and would require utmost loyalty. The tunnel was the way. It was the beginning to a means, which would determine an end.

“Stay close,” Dumago commanded in the dark as they trudged. The sound of his voice stuck to the walls, for they were damp, and the space was small, merely four feet wide and six feet tall. It was not built for warluki to trudge through but for a tall man. The purebreds crouched. Indeed, all but Klever hiked the way uncomfortably. The others followed closely behind Dumago, hoping that they would see the night sky soon, for the tunnel was infested with yellow-bellied rats and smelled of old water. Dumago walked in front of Klever, and then Atoria, Teropen, and Jesub followed.

“I smell fresh air!” Jesub said excitedly as he reached and poked Atoria in the backside. Teropen growled, for the youngster had gotten too close. Jesub pulled back and was quiet.

“Growl at him again, and I shall have to punish you!” Atoria snapped.

“I can smell nothing past the odor of warluki and dampness. It is a wonder I smell anything at all. I feel a sickness in my chest,” Klever replied wearily, ignoring the comment Atoria had made to the captive. He knew that a purebred’s sense of smell was much better than his, but the smells that he had to endure did not bother them half as much. They were used to the smell of other warluki, although not of the water and rodents.

“Keep your voices down, for we do not know if any are following,” Atoria reminded the young ones, and they were silent. The chances of any following were slim, but in case she was right, they did not want to meet whoever was in pursuit. They had been through much already.

“There is a light,” Dumago confirmed.

When they reached the end of the tunnel, true night had fallen. There were no fowl about in the firmament, and it smelled of the sea. Dumago and Atoria scouted the perimeter and left Jesub in charge of the traitor. Klever took a moment to retreat. He had come so far. The thought of Orri crossed his mind for

but a moment. He had not time to think much of anything but the task at hand. The warluki returned and deemed that the coast was clear. It was time to move. The boat the Elder had designated for them was tied to the dock. It was not large at all, but its dimensions were quite strange. The bow of the boat only stood four feet out of the water and six feet from starboard to portside. Its centerline was the deepest measure, and its body only stretched merely sixteen feet from hull to bow. The ride would be cramped.

“Too bad we cannot tie this filthy scoundrel to portside . . .”

Atoria looked over at the warlukite who let out a muffled cry when she yanked the rope that was about his wrists. It was clear that she did not want to share the small space with him and that she believed that allowing him to be shark bait would be a suitable punishment for him.

“It will attract too much attention from the beasts in the water, Atoria. If the boat should capsize . . .” Dumago started to say as he looked at Klever who hesitated to climb in. He was pale. Dumago looked to Atoria and then back to Klever to find that Jesub had gone to comfort him. Teropen was in pain. Atoria was aggravated further by his whining but held back more punishment, for he would only cry too loudly.