eleven

“you are
one million feelings
in one single feeling.”

"Lia, are you even listening to me?" Luce asked

I was most definitely listening, but not enough to remember what she'd been talking about a few seconds earlier. My head was elsewhere. More specifically, I was thinking about Alastair.

"Who's coming over?" I asked her before pushing away my freshly showered hair from my face. I was sprawled on the couch, the couch that I had come to adore a lot by now. It was warm and soft and engulfed me like a warm hug.

I heard Luce sighing and shaking her head disapprovingly at me. She seemed humored though as she took out various boxes of cereal from one of the cabinets. From the corner of my eye, I saw that they were Fruit Loops; Luce's favorite.

"Some of my college friends. I asked them to come over since it's been a little long the last I saw them. What do you think I should cook?" She asked me. She sounded excited.

I let out a hum and looked up at the plain white ceiling. "You should buy some glow-in-the-dark stars for my bedroom ceiling. I've got plenty of them in my room back in New York. Mum doesn't really like them, but they actually glow in the dark. Isn't that cool?"

"All right." Luce gave me a look.

"Is something wrong?" She asked after she had sat down near the kitchen counter, making herself a bowl of cereal. "You seem highly distracted."

I shrugged, still partially lost in my thoughts. "What's Camberley Prep Academy?"

"A college here." She spoke up after swallowing. Luce was one to care a lot about her table manners, even when she was eating a bowl of cereal, and even when there was no one else eating alongside her. "A private one too. Why? Are you looking for applying at colleges here?"

"Obviously not," I mumbled. I hated new places.

"Then?"

"I made a friend," I stated, then cringed when I realized how pathetic that sounded. People make friends all the time. And something even more pathetic? It was a lie. I was lying. "She studies there. She told me she'd love to give me a tour there or something."

I hadn't yet talked to Maria. I did have her number (we exchanged it back at the bake sale) but I still hadn't conjured up the nerves to call her. What would I even say? I didn't think she'd agree to the plan--the stupid plan, as I was coming to realize. Why did Alastair think Maria would help me sneak in?

I couldn't sneak into a private college, I thought. It was stupid to even think of doing it. Why the fuck would I do that?

Because of the journal Alastair mentioned, a voice spoke in my head. Alastair thinks it might help. And hadn't I told him that I'd help him?